IGNORED

Sparta twp private land deer hunting

Avidhunter

2 hours ago, nmc02 said:

Simply can't bait....if you don't put out bait, you won't be bothered by bears. Some of my spots I bait, others I Simply can't 

Wish it were that easy. We don’t bait January through September, yet the exact same 11-12 bears are captured on our game trail cams or over our mineral sites during those months as when we put down corn cobs in October (which is only in failed mast crop years like this one). 

10 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Wish it were that easy. We don’t bait January through September, yet the exact same 11-12 bears are captured on our game trail cams or over our mineral sites during those months as when we put down corn cobs in October (which is only in failed mast crop years like this one). 

We can agree to disagree....I hunt a large piece not far from you w bear numbers that I am willing to say are among the highest per Sq mile in NJ. Yes, I see them often. Since I stopped baiting there, see far more deer. If Bait is out Oct - Dec then you are going to see more bears...that is inevitable. You will do better without bait. In places where bear numbers are lower, I bait. 

3 hours ago, nmc02 said:

We can agree to disagree....I hunt a large piece not far from you w bear numbers that I am willing to say are among the highest per Sq mile in NJ. Yes, I see them often. Since I stopped baiting there, see far more deer. If Bait is out Oct - Dec then you are going to see more bears...that is inevitable. You will do better without bait. In places where bear numbers are lower, I bait. 

Nick, I appreciate the advice. But I’ve been on the same property for 30 years. We almost never bait. The last three straight years we have had next to zero acorns. So we brought in two pickup loads of corn each of the last three years. The same bears we see now spend more time on bait, obviously, but we don’t see new bears show up. There is no room for “new bears”. When a bear comes in to my deer spot, I stand up and tell the bear to leave. Works 9 out of 10 times.  

Instead, we just convince all our critters to get along. 

8CF77915-9AED-45B0-81D8-7E054D12DDE8.jpeg

12BA9243-C45C-4171-BECB-6B678143809E.jpeg

B45C791A-8BF0-42E0-8454-BDD3CF5151B1.jpeg

E3D2F823-6B2D-47AC-9887-54E73477CC92.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Nick, I appreciate the advice. But I’ve been on the same property for 30 years. We almost never bait. The last three straight years we have had next to zero acorns. So we brought in two pickup loads of corn each of the last three years. The same bears we see now spend more time on bait, obviously, but we don’t see new bears show up. There is no room for “new bears”. When a bear comes in to my deer spot, I stand up and tell the bear to leave. Works 9 out of 10 times.  

Instead, we just convince all our critters to get along. 

8CF77915-9AED-45B0-81D8-7E054D12DDE8.jpeg

12BA9243-C45C-4171-BECB-6B678143809E.jpeg

B45C791A-8BF0-42E0-8454-BDD3CF5151B1.jpeg

E3D2F823-6B2D-47AC-9887-54E73477CC92.jpeg

Just one big happy family up here on the mountain.  :rofl:

1 hour ago, KBfishing said:

I remember in ESU mammalogy class my teacher told me bears and deer would not feed near one another. So my year end essay was on deer reaction to bear activity. I provided over 75 trail cam photos of deer and bear feeding within 20 yards of each other. Got an A

I have dozens of trail cam pix with them within far less distance than that. And now coyotes too!  Coyotes eating corn. Unreal.