IGNORED

Who's Bear Baiting Already?

Ms Grit

Been Bear Baiting since (not gonna say) but I made some changes this year and I am very happy with the results so far.  I know for sure that one of the biggest ones coming in to my barrel is a repeat from last year due to him limping in his back right leg. So, who's got their bear baits out and what kind of success are you having so far? I know it's a ways off yet, but I get so thrilled to see them in the daylight that I can't help but be excited about the possibility of it actually working out for me this year.

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

I have tried it all and found, at least in my spot, it doesn't pay to start early.  We only start about 2 to 3 weeks ahead of the season and get bears the first day/night.  Our problem is that each year with one exception, all our bear activity ended by the weekend before 6 Day.  Right around Thanksgiving, we see a steady decline in activity ending just before the season opens.  We are high up on Sparta Mountain - high for NJ, that is.  Last year the Saturday before the Monday opener was our last camera picture.  But getting them in to bait in numbers routinely has always been easy.  I just don't have time to run that far to bait and still do my two jobs, be a dad and husband, etc.  Maybe when the kid goes off to college and the new job pays well enough that I can stop guiding on the side.  Next fall I know I will bait prior to the October archery season and just be choosy about which bear to shoot since we are overrun with them.  All we see these days when bow hunting are black bears in fall.  We just don't see them around during 6 Day except the one I shot 6 seasons ago now.   

I have tried it all and found, at least in my spot, it doesn't pay to start early.  We only start about 2 to 3 weeks ahead of the season and get bears the first day/night.  Our problem is that each year with one exception, all our bear activity ended by the weekend before 6 Day.  Right around Thanksgiving, we see a steady decline in activity ending just before the season opens.  We are high up on Sparta Mountain - high for NJ, that is.  Last year the Saturday before the Monday opener was our last camera picture.  But getting them in to bait in numbers routinely has always been easy.  I just don't have time to run that far to bait and still do my two jobs, be a dad and husband, etc.  Maybe when the kid goes off to college and the new job pays well enough that I can stop guiding on the side.  Next fall I know I will bait prior to the October archery season and just be choosy about which bear to shoot since we are overrun with them.  All we see these days when bow hunting are black bears in fall.  We just don't see them around during 6 Day except the one I shot 6 seasons ago now.   

You know the scoop from last year.  I kept mine all along, even had 2 at the same time, one at the bait and one 100 yards away where I was hunting.  I am hoping to do the same this year.  I know now where they are coming from most of the time and am planning on sitting behind one of the fallen "Sandy" trees down closer to the swamp.

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

You know the scoop from last year.  I kept mine all along, even had 2 at the same time, one at the bait and one 100 yards away where I was hunting.  I am hoping to do the same this year.  I know now where they are coming from most of the time and am planning on sitting behind one of the fallen "Sandy" trees down closer to the swamp.

I'll be waiting for your call or text to help pull that beast out of that swamp this December!  But I need higher boots!!  

Matt has been going with me to bait most of the time because from what I have on the cameras I am hesitant to go there alone.  I walk in each time and say out loud, "OK guys, I am bringing you a snack, and it's NOT me." lol

I also un-squish everything in advance so that I spend as little time there as possible.

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

Matt has been going with me to bait most of the time because from what I have on the cameras I am hesitant to go there alone.  I walk in each time and say out loud, "OK guys, I am bringing you a snack, and it's NOT me." lol

I also un-squish everything in advance so that I spend as little time there as possible.

Let's face it, coastal brown bears aren't as big as your bear!  I'm not looking forward to that call.  I can hear it now, "You 3 grab that leg, you 3 grab that other one and let's see if we can pull it 2 feet at a time"  :rofl:  

Robyn

You have a Hotspot on that piece! Lol

Try the new loads and see how they work for ya.

Please message me the name so I make sure to get the right thing. It was a loooong conversation, lol

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

Let's face it, coastal brown bears aren't as big as your bear!  I'm not looking forward to that call.  I can hear it now, "You 3 grab that leg, you 3 grab that other one and let's see if we can pull it 2 feet at a time"  :rofl:  

Thanks for the "Out Loud" laugh

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member