IGNORED

Advice for aftermarket choke

Marksman57

The best advice is to save your money. After market chokes are scam to keep marketers employed. Time after time, I see guys pattern their factories better than the aftermarkets. Put your money into shells or waders
I call bullshit on this advice. I have shot hundreds of rounds thru factory and aftermarket chokes the factory chokes don't have shit on aftermarket chokes. I have around 1000$ in aftermarket chokes. Kicks pattern master and Carlson chokes and factory chokes fall short in pattern density especially shooting oo buckshot.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, 9CAS1 said:

The best advice is to save your money. After market chokes are scam to keep marketers employed. Time after time, I see guys pattern their factories better than the aftermarkets. Put your money into shells or waders

With traditional fixed choke guns i think ammo can be the difference. Plated versus non plated. Buffered versus not buffered. Those are all factors. 

12 minutes ago, Codaboy said:

I call bullshit on this advice. I have shot hundreds of rounds thru factory and aftermarket chokes the factory chokes don't have shit on aftermarket chokes. I have around 1000$ in aftermarket chokes. Kicks pattern master and Carlson chokes and factory chokes fall short in pattern density especially shooting oo buckshot.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Agree. Definite difference with premium ammo. 

42 minutes ago, 9CAS1 said:

In my opinion guys not getting results they want from after market chokes aren't using them as intended ie buying a choke for large steel but using 4s or buying a choke not intended fir certain wads but using ammo that utilizes that wad 

Blanket statements are not fair. Yes, you can get good patterns from factory chokes and bad from aftermarket and vice versa. As people have mentioned, it can depend on your ammo. Let's start with the "classic" Patternmaster. For it to work properly, it must interact with a plastic shot collar. If you are using almost all brands of buckshot, except for Federal Premium, you are not using the choke properly. I used this choke for buckshot, turkey shot, and waterfowl hunting. It is a good all around choke. Is it the tightest turkey choke? NO. But it provides nice patterns over a wide range. It is great for shooting 3.5" steel loads, especially BB and BBB. Same with buckshot. It may not be the tightest, but sends nice patterns with the proper loads. The results are different and there is an element of safety involved. 

The factory chokes in my Remington and Beretta's threw nice patterns with buckshot. The Patternmaster did slightly better. We can go on for hours comparing a bunch of chokes and ammo. The combinations are virtually endless and results varying widely. 

To confuse things further, you have lead and "hevi-shot" type loads. You have to be careful not to use the incorrect choke for the lead substitutes. I have 3.5" Hevi-shot 00 buck. I have to be careful not to use a tight choke or one not designed for it. 

Finally, factory choke constrictions among manufacturers are slightly different. A full choke is not exactly the same between Beretta, Mossberg, and Remington. That accounts for pattern differences also. So, a guy may say "I get great buckshot patterns with a full choke in my A390" and a guy with a Mossberg may try it and it sucks. 

All you can do is try your factory chokes. If the results are poor, you have no choice but to try an aftermarket. It's getting more and more difficult to choose the right on since there has been a proliferation of them. 

With the price of ammo these days, it will be a costly undertaking. 

Edited by archer36

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...