IGNORED

Replacing vehicle motor

After following a thread a few weeks ago about a member replacing a motor in an old Suburban, I'm now looking for opinions on the same. I gave my significant my 2002 Yukon with 170,000 as she likes to drive it. It has been well maintained for the 15 years I've owned it. It's now eating coolant and after testing, it seems to be going into exhaust. It's been over 40 years since I've attempted tearing down a chevy and have no desire to attempt it on one of these newer motors. She has just unloaded a Dodge P/U which she had emotional ties to and poured several thousands into over the past 8 years and I just assumed it was a no brainer issue. Well, this seems to be another emotional issue. Since it's an expensive repair to open the motor with the assumption that its only a head gasket and not something  worse and then you still have a vehicle with 170,000 on it. What about just putting in a crate motor.  Opinions please.

tough call especially if you don't want to do it yourself  given the prices of a head gasket and a liitle time might save you a bunch of money . if it were me id make it a weekend project best case the head gasket solves your issue and you get a few more years out of it , my friend and i did a motor swap on his 95 Tahoe last year ,he went with a complete crate motor , only had to swap some brackets and Pullys and went pretty fast granted the 95 has nothing in the way under the hood , the worst was a couple stubborn manifold bolts . if i remember he paid around $4200 i think it was from jegs or jasper.

Edited by FishNHard