IGNORED

Live hunt (semi) with LPJR & cousin this afternoon

LPJR

3 minutes ago, LPJR said:

He came CLOSE. 

With 3 minutes left of shooting light a big doe makes her way to us. I could not see the deer in front of the blind because my wall had her blocked just out of my sight. 

He slips the safety off and almost shot but didn't. She then whirled and took off and I asked what happened. 

He said that he only had her right shoulder quartering to him and was waiting for her to turn broadside for double lungs. 

We discussed it tonight and he was not sure if it would have been a good shot.

Glad he did what he felt was right. 

That's a successful hunt in anybody's book!  Well done Cousin Lou!   

1 hour ago, JD48 said:

No shot is better than a bad shot, good move

Agreed 100% with this JD. What was cool is that this would have been his first deer ever- and he still chose to only take a shot he was comfortable with. Even at 30 yards....

Talking about it tonight, I told him that a buddy recently lost his biggest buck to date 3 weeks ago. Was using the same gun and round and only had the front shoulder facing him at 75 yards. At the shot the deer dropped but took off. 

Tracked for over 100 yards before backing out. Called a dog tracker who came out the next morning. Never recovered the buck which is believed to still be alive as they tracked it for miles. Another buddy shot a buck in the shoulder during buck week and never recovered the deer as well. 

Prior to hunting, we spoke about different scenarios and I was intent on having him take a broadside shot only.... I am actually glad he listened and didn't rush the shot. 

Edited by LPJR

1 hour ago, LPJR said:

Agreed 100% with this JD. What was cool is that this would have been his first deer ever- and he still chose to only take a shot he was comfortable with. Even at 30 yards....

Talking about it tonight, I told him that a buddy recently lost his biggest buck to date 3 weeks ago. Was using the same gun and round and only had the front shoulder facing him at 75 yards. At the shot the deer dropped but took off. 

Tracked for over 100 yards before backing out. Called a dog tracker who came out the next morning. Never recovered the buck which is believed to still be alive as they tracked it for miles. Another buddy shot a buck in the shoulder during buck week and never recovered the deer as well. 

Prior to hunting, we spoke about different scenarios and I was intent on having him take a broadside shot only.... I am actually glad he listened and didn't rush the shot. 

Sounds like He's off to a good start from a good teacher, nice going