IGNORED

WTB Hornady XTP .45 cal bullets 250 gr. #45200

GilV

I am reloading slugs. I found sabots to be able to use 45 cal bullets #45200. Anybody have any they would like to get rid of? It is a longshot I know, but it is worth a shot. 

Thanks

Gil

Edited by GilV

5 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

I don't think they come in 250 grain..The ones I use in my muzzleloader are 240 grains.

I usually get them at Davis Sport shop in Sloatsburg NY

I forget. I think and it's a big think.  The 240 gr had green sabot and the 250s had black sabot.  Or vice versa.  Lol. 

1 hour ago, Swamprat said:

I forget. I think and it's a big think.  The 240 gr had green sabot and the 250s had black sabot.  Or vice versa.  Lol. 

The green sabots are for .429-430 diameter bullets and black is for .451-452 diameter.  So the 240 XTP in the green sabot is actually a bullet designed for 44 cal handguns (which actually shoot 43 cal bullets). 

Gil,

Hate to burst your bubble but I think you are looking for the 240 or 300 grain XTP MAG.   The MAG versions come with the thicker jacket so they don't blow up at higher velocities, like seen in a muzzleloader or hotter pistol round like 454 Casull, 460 etc..

I use the 250 grain XTP in 45 Colt loads in my 454.  If you look at the reloading manuals they don't even list the 250 XTP for the hotter 454 or 460, only the XTP MAG.

Mike

27 minutes ago, GilV said:

Thanks Mike, but I spoke to the person that manufactures the sabots to load shotgun slugs. They said to stay away from the MAGs. 

Gil

Why did he say stay away? Just curious. Reason I ask is a long time ago I used the xtp(late 90s  manufactur)  in an older muzzy. 80-90 gr of pyrodex. The bullets punched thru deer.  Didn't expand much. Never really sure if it was because I wasn't getting the proper velocity , jacket too thick, or maybe just small pine barren deer(80-120lb).  

2 hours ago, Swamprat said:

I use the Harvester Crush rib sabots these are black.

The 240 grain XTP's are.451 diameter.

Edited by 230jhp

1 hour ago, GilV said:

Thanks Mike, but I spoke to the person that manufactures the sabots to load shotgun slugs. They said to stay away from the MAGs. 

Gil

Ok.  I’d be interested to see how they hold up on deer, especially on close range/high velocity shots. I never used em in the full power 454 loads but I have a bunch of the 250s so may give them a try. 

10 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

Ok.  I’d be interested to see how they hold up on deer, especially on close range/high velocity shots. I never used em in the full power 454 loads but I have a bunch of the 250s so may give them a try. 

240 xtp 100 grains pyrodex.

40 yrds they are devastating.  Most deer drop on the spot ive dropped deer in their tracks out to 125 yrds

20210110_162605.jpg

20210110_162619.jpg

20210110_162627.jpg