IGNORED

Guess his age

Lunatic

So, if Lun doesn’t mind, I’d like to piggyback this post with a question.

Now that the actual age is verified, what’s all your thoughts on “genetics” in NJ? 

My thought is, assuming genetics one way or the other, and attempting to age a deer on the hoof using that as part of your basis, is useless, because you have no idea if the genetics are good or bad until AFTER you killed the deer and verified the age.
The constant argument we hear in NJ is let them get older, we kill too many young bucks, which may be the case, however,  this buck is about as mature for NJ as you’re gonna get, generally speaking, he reached his prime at 6.5 right, and not to take away from how nice he his, but if he was this age in many other states he’d be a giant! 
What I’m saying is you can’t assume genetics in regards to aging in NJ because we simply have a very limited pool of great genetics,  and you also can’t rely  solely on age as the determining factor in quality males.  

12 minutes ago, Pathman said:

Now that the actual age is verified, what’s all your thoughts on “genetics” in NJ? 

My thought is, assuming genetics one way or the other, and attempting to age a deer on the hoof using that as part of your basis, is useless, because you have no idea if the genetics are good or bad until AFTER you killed the deer and verified the age.
The constant argument we hear in NJ is let them get older, we kill too many young bucks, which may be the case, however,  this buck is about as mature for NJ as you’re gonna get, generally speaking, he reached his prime at 6.5 right, and not to take away from how nice he his, but if he was this age in many other states he’d be a giant! 
What I’m saying is you can’t assume genetics in regards to aging in NJ because we simply have a very limited pool of great genetics,  and you also can’t rely  solely on age as the determining factor in quality males.  

I think you can. You can not do it if you are comparing NJ bucks to other states but isolating your analysis to NJ only, or even better specific area of NJ, you can do a decent job on aging any deer. Keep in mind it is very hard from pictures which are deceiving. I had my hands on this buck and I knew he was at least 5.5 and it m sure most would guess the same way. 

Edited by Lunatic

10 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I think you can. You can not do it if you are comparing NJ bucks to other states but isolating your analysis to NJ only, or even better specific area of NJ, you can do a decent job on aging any deer. Keep in mind it is very hard from pictures which are deceiving. I had my hands on this buck and I knew he was at least 5.5 and it m sure most would guess the same way. 

No I’m not saying you can’t judge age, I’m saying you can’t really use genetics in your calculations. 

19 minutes ago, Pathman said:

If using all the characteristics not just rack size you can get a closer guess .

some deer reach their prime at 3 1/2-4 1/2 , some at 6 1/2.

‘Hanson buck with great characteristics was a young deer that could have been smaller his following years if made it through .

who knows what Mikes buck looked like last year .

‘some years just due to rut conditions the previous year a buck can also have an off year, only to explode the following 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

6.5 is a true trophy in NJ or any state.    But I think a lot more bucks get to that age than we think.    Look at the velvet ten I shot 2019, will barely gross 125" at 6.5 years of age, and actually had his best set of antlers at 4.5...   Meanwhile 2 months later shot a massive 6.5 year old 10, with phenomenal antler genetics that would impress in ANY state.   

The smaller rack also had smaller body - yet I can make a case had access to better nutrition year-round than the bigger one.  

Same age  - 162# dressed in September, 124" of antler, vs 194# dressed at tail end of rut, 166 4/8" of antler.  7 miles apart. 

Genetics / age / nutrition - it's not "ONE" thing it's everything....

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….