IGNORED

6-Day Firearm for a Farmer Question

XtremeHunter

3 hours ago, electric10162 said:

It's only good for the farm. All my tags have FARM on them in addition to the usual zone designation. Bear and turkey too. My archery and firearm licenses and tags are statewide like yours. If I was to hunt solely on the farm, I do not have to purchase a license but must have a NJ CID #

Gotchya. Maybe it’s different for my pal who owns the property his farm is on....his free buck stubs are good in the whole zone 

Are u leasing the property as a farmer?  Maybe that’s the difference as a leasee?

Gotchya. Maybe it’s different for my pal who owns the property his farm is on....his free buck stubs are good in the whole zone 
Are u leasing the property as a farmer?  Maybe that’s the difference as a leasee?

Your buddy may want to double check that. I have farmer permits for the Farm I own and live on. The free permits specifically say occupant farmer on them. And my understanding is they are only good on my farm. Not for the enter zone my farm is located in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bonefreak said:

Im not sure what you mean by buck stubs? 

A  hunting license is required to purchase regular/additional deer permitts.  

If you are a Non-occupant Farmer (you don't live on the farm) then by law you must be in possession of a hunting license in addition to your hunting permit.

Farmers and their families may also apply for and purchase regular deer and turkey permits in addition to the free farmer deer and turkey permits provided they hold a current hunting license.

B. WHO MAY APPLY FOR DEER PERMITS:

OCCUPANT FARMERS:

1. Only the owner or lessee of a farm, who resides thereon, or the immediate members of his/her family, who also reside thereon, may apply for Occupant Farmer Deer Permits. Applicants must be over 10 years of age.

2. Occupant Farmer Permits are ONLY valid ON the FARM where the farmer resides.

NON-OCCUPANT FARMERS:

1. Applicant must actively farm 30 tilled acres. Woodlots are NOT included in acreage needed to qualify. Properties do not need to be contiguous. If applicant farms more than 30 acres in one zone, it is not necessary to list all parcels.

2. Each parcel must be tax assessed as farmland.

3. Applicant does not need to live on the property.

4. No more than five (5) individuals may receive a permit for each season for a property. The applicants must be the farmer or farmers, their spouses or children.

5. Non-Occupant Farmer Permits are valid on privately owned property throughout the entire zone in which the listed farm property is located. If the farmer does not reside on the land in question he/she MUST have the necessary Hunting Licenses in addition to the permit.

6. Farmers who reside on the farm and own more than 30 acres may apply as a non-occupant if they wish.

7. If a farmer has land in multiple zones you must choose one zone for which to apply.

Edited by nickmarch

1 hour ago, Bonefreak said:

I'm the owner. The extended permits, bow, shotgun and muzzleloader are only good for the farm I own. The buck tags as well. My Zone 2 permits have FARM on them and can only be used on that farm in which the owner or resident farmer resides. Immediate family is included IF they reside on the farm. Your buddy should verify this before he kills a giant, posts it, and finds out it was not legal. 

28 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

I'm the owner. The extended permits, bow, shotgun and muzzleloader are only good for the farm I own. The buck tags as well. My Zone 2 permits have FARM on them and can only be used on that farm in which the owner or resident farmer resides. Immediate family is included IF they reside on the farm. Your buddy should verify this before he kills a giant, posts it, and finds out it was not legal. 

Page 24 of the digest talks about two different farmer permits. I think @electric10162 you have an "occupant" permit - there are "non-occupant" permits where you can hunt private land in the zone where the farm is (but it doesn't indicate it has to be the farm itself).

If someone has an occupant permit - that permit holder can ONLY hunt on the farm itself. See where it says, "Occupant permits are valid *only on the farm property* where the applicant resides."

image.png.611400396fc2d2da96a9128f4ed7b3a4.png

If someone has a non-occupant permit, can ONLY hunt private land, not public, in that zone (though doesn't seem to be required to be the farm where the permit was allocated to):

image.png.9285265c089aa36efbb0786f287c6a91.png

41 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

10-4. I will inquire w him. Thanks