IGNORED

When and how to make a mock scrape

johnyanu

Any time if you are looking for a communal scrape, under a lower hanging branch or branches, and just scrape the vegetation off the ground for maybe a 2' circle and pee in it.  That's all.  It helps to know where deer are travelling because it may be meaningless in the middle of the woods.  I have a communal scrape that sees deer, bear, fox, coyote, and bobcat all pee in it year round.  Love putting cameras on scrapes like that. 

If you see pre rut activity from a nice buck come late September or October,  you can add a few to see if your buck shows and a trail cam will tell you when and how often.   

I  did one last week by just clearing a three foot circle under a  over hanging branch that was used in the past. I got some pics of does and 1 buck  sniffing the branch. Hopefully they will start using the branch more. I would like to try hanging a grape vine one of these days.

This chit works Johnny. Use it in a rub line that you would find in August/Sept.takes a couple years or3  until you learn where the bucks are bedding and where they're going. Was never a big fan of morning posts, the thermocline change and the wind change. I learned I had my best luck early fall early rut set up by 2 p.m.20 yds off the side of the scape when did the scent direction was right Make sure you wear your rubber boots and rubber gloves.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

End of September or early October and I piss in them every chance I get before I hang my drippers

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."