IGNORED

Coyote and fox calling

Psehunter

Seems like there is alot more guys chasing dogs now. I haven't gone out for them in a few years so all these posts with dead dogs has given me the itch to pull out my fox pro and head out. Just wondering, what calls are you guys using? I've always used the rabbit distress and have had good luck on fox but never called a coyote in.  Any advice for other calls to try this time of the year? Gota try something different in those areas that don't have many rabbits.

Female Coyote howl a couple of times through the first ten minutes. Then pup in distress a couple times in the next 5 minutes. Then rabbit distress for a minute and a half or so. That’s how I start. Then I just play around with some other calls after that. I’m still new in the game so I am learning. Called 4 in range in the last 2 weeks. 2 no shots and 2 misses. 

i never shot a coyote, i did call one in but winded me. i did shoot my fair share of fox. using fox pro and icotech. i personally like icotech better and the dying rabbit distress call never failed me. another good one is mouse and vole squeaks. 

there was times when the rabbit call brought them in, but stopped, i switched to the mouse and vole squeaks and they were like  a train coming to the call. like many of the outdoor activities i use to do, i miss predator hunting A LOT. but my work is more important these days. i should find more time to do the things i use to do in my 20s when im in my 40s. plenty of time right?!?! but damn it im only 32.  have to head back to work now for an emergency call...:rant:

25 minutes ago, Kype said:

miss predator hunting A LOT. but my work is more important these days. i should find more time to do the things i use to do in my 20s when im in my 40s. plenty of time right?!?! but damn it im only 32.  have to head back to work now for an emergency

plenty of time right?!?

Yup, you just do what your doing kiddo one day at a time, it's the right thing to do!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

5 hours ago, Psehunter said:

Any advice for other calls to try this time of the year? Gota try something different in those areas that don't have many rabbits.

Outside of NJ, I've noticed that foxes get: (1) light shy and (2) suspicious of audio loops.  

Aside from using red and amber lenses, I prefer non electronic means of calling.  I believe it helps break the monotony of recorded loops.

I usually do a simple mouth call or use a Wam caller.  Otherwise, a squeaky dog toy from the pet store does the trick.

Edited by username