IGNORED

Hinge Cutting Info Needed

OMC

6 minutes ago, OMC said:

Not really understanding how this works. I did a quick search and doesn’t it just kill the tree ? How will this help 

It’s pretty simple. Even if you go to an area and hinge cut 5 acres worth of trees that work for the application..... without sunlight getting to those hinge cuts they will die. When you go into an area and decide this spot bc of location, access for hunters around it, etc is where you want to hinge cut.....you need to open the canopy. Meaning 50-75% of the large trees (overstory) have to be dropped first. Then you can hinge. The sunlight hitting the forest floor will allow the hinged trees to continue living and producing stump sprouts. It will also encourage seeds that have been laying dormant in the seedbank for 50 or more years to sprout. That gives you saplings (stem count), hardwood regeneration and browse, and native grasses and Forbes to pop up and spread more seed. Food sources in spring and summer are mostly not required bc it is a time where they have probably 100 times more then they could ever need. When leaves begin hitting the floor 40-60% of a deers diet across  the board is woody browse. That is what keeps them alive from the time fall hits until spring green up occurs 

Another benefit of simply girdling trees is called Crown Release.  If you kill all the trees surrounding a good oak tree not only does it let in light and generate new growth but the oak tree will become much more productive because you've removed its competition.  

Edited by Rusty

Copper nails kill trees.  If allowed hammer some copper nails into select trees.  Copper sulfate aka tree root killer for sewer pipes sold at hardware stores. Drill downward holes and fill them with the copper sulfate.

Deer preferr a SW facing slope to bed with thickness behind.  It provides headwind and sunshine.  They can smell and get sunshine.  

Edited by nickmarch

I aggressively girdled these trees in 2017 and they were still alive last fall. I also sprayed Round-up on the exposed inner layer at the same time. It normally takes at least 2 to 3 years to kill a tree using this method in my experience.

74018576_7-1-18girdle.thumb.JPG.e3c954be32e1a55b8c90dc52ce3e6fe8.JPG

8 minutes ago, tpr1921 said:

I aggressively girdled these trees in 2017 and they were still alive last fall. I also sprayed Round-up on the exposed inner layer at the same time. It normally takes at least 2 to 3 years to kill a tree using this method in my experience.

Use a chainsaw, cut deeply through the cambium layer, make 2 rings.  

Just working with the smaller trees you should be able to make small pockets of bedding. This what I would do if you are concerned about the land owner. Another thing I would do is dig a water hole if you dont have a stream or pond on the property. You would be surprised what a small water hole can do. If you cant dig one, a water trough, bathtub, small fish pond even a kiddie pool will work. Also, to keep deer around late season in conjunction with cover you need a food source. Consider a late season crop of winter rye, wheat or brassicas.  If you can go a step further and plant some clover. Having food year round , the deer learn they can count on your plots to have some food for them. I  dont know what your objectives are, whether its seeing more deer or killing the better bucks in the area or both. Making your property better than the surrounding properties takes a little work but you will have the deer. Im in farm country. When the farmers harvest crops around me, there is no food left. They dont even plant cover crops so its dirt all winter. 

Its very beneficial to have a nice green field late season. 

Dont know where you guys are at but if you ever want to take a walk through some hinge cuts and check out what Ive been doing to improve my property you can pm me and we can walk it when the season ends. 

Im about 20 mins from Jackson area

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

20 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

It’s pretty simple. Even if you go to an area and hinge cut 5 acres worth of trees that work for the application..... without sunlight getting to those hinge cuts they will die. When you go into an area and decide this spot bc of location, access for hunters around it, etc is where you want to hinge cut.....you need to open the canopy. Meaning 50-75% of the large trees (overstory) have to be dropped first. Then you can hinge. The sunlight hitting the forest floor will allow the hinged trees to continue living and producing stump sprouts. It will also encourage seeds that have been laying dormant in the seedbank for 50 or more years to sprout. That gives you saplings (stem count), hardwood regeneration and browse, and native grasses and Forbes to pop up and spread more seed. Food sources in spring and summer are mostly not required bc it is a time where they have probably 100 times more then they could ever need. When leaves begin hitting the floor 40-60% of a deers diet across  the board is woody browse. That is what keeps them alive from the time fall hits until spring green up occurs 

Let there be light!!!!!

Precisely!!!

Cant expect much if no sunlight hits the forest floor. You can girdle or hinge cut your heart out, but if sunlight isnt breaking thru the tree canopy, nada!

Mature trees have to be removed...maybe start where there is already an edge....along a road, driveway, house etc???