IGNORED

Baiting

MZ7Extreme

8 minutes ago, buckhound said:

i dont think i have seen that  bait  concentrates deer in an area they tend to have bedding areas and feeding areas they travel between and stop on the way to or from what I have noticed is the same deer may hit several bait piles on the way but they still seem to hit the fields or acorns in the oaks ..i see them travel between both public and private... 

Depends on the property you hunt.  Where I hunt, deer can bed anywhere.  It's all flat and all thick.  There's really no "isolated thicket" they consider their primary bedding area.  Feeding areas with the lack of farm fields and oak groves wind up being heavily driven by bait piles during hunting season and other low quality food sources.  So deer move closer to bait piles and bed not far away.  Come the rut you get more movement from bucks, but the resident does hang close.

I didn't read most of the responses so if it was mentioned...oh well.  If you're gonna bait then baiting heavy is the way to go.  Why make 10 trips with 50 pounds in two weeks?   Load it up and stay out of the woods for weeks or months at a time.  There's right ways and wrong ways.  A pile is wrong IMO.  400 pounds spread out over a large area (and I mean a large area) is very productive.  Thee more you stay out the more comfortable they will get.  I dump whole bins of sugar beats at a time, if that's my bait of choice, or 400 pounds of corn if that's what I'm using and don't go back for weeks or months to hunt it.   Here's the go getter, during the rut, I don't even hunt over it I have stands 75 and 100 yards away.  The less intrusion the better.  

And by the way I hate baiting, but at times it's a necessary evil.  I wouldn't shed a tear if it went away tomorrow.  When EHD its you can kiss deer hunting in NJ good-bye.     

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Depends on the property you hunt.  Where I hunt, deer can bed anywhere.  It's all flat and all thick.  There's really no "fixed thicket" they consider their primary bedding area.  Feeding areas with the lack of farm fields and oak groves wind up being heavily driven by bait piles during hunting season and other low quality food sources.  So deer move closer to bait piles and bed not far away.  Come the rut you get more movement from bucks, but the resident does hang close.

we always seem to find them in the same area depending on the time of year sometimes they lay on the public and will move to private to eat in another place they they come out of private to eat on the state oak ridges .  they dont seem to stay close to the piles with the exception of snow they will stay closer to the food. like you say it depends on where you are hunting ...

I dont hunt bait till december when  I do i   put the bait depending on wind up in oaks and get down along or in the thickets the bucks like to travel . i dont think it would bother me if they stopped baiting .after a while the coyotes tend to patern the piles and eventually the deer stop coming . 

A few shops are offering guided hunts on private and public land they throw up some stands and bait the crap out of it so when the weekend warrior shows up to hunt after paying his fee he can sit over that giant pile of corn. I don’t think that guided hunts should be allowed on public land but that’s just me.

7 hours ago, Joeybeets said:

A few shops are offering guided hunts on private and public land they throw up some stands and bait the crap out of it so when the weekend warrior shows up to hunt after paying his fee he can sit over that giant pile of corn. I don’t think that guided hunts should be allowed on public land but that’s just me.

Name ONE or did this come from a Reliable Unidentified Source 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

back in the 80's A guy had a lot of private land and charged people to hunt some of the fields ended at state woods so they had stands on state property that wasnt a big deal but  the hunters would get bent out of shape because hunter where sitting a hundred yards up in the state woods ahead of them and killing the deer before entering the fields,in the morning they would get bent out of shape because they missed deer and someone would kill it when it run on state land. i dont have an issue with  someone running a business using state land the problem is the hunter who pays for it usually has a sense of ownership because they pay for sitting in a baited seat and hunters are around i get it you pay money to sit you dont want someone a hundred yards from you.