IGNORED

2018 Elk and Mule Deer Wyoming

Congrats on the mulie!  Good try on the elk!  Never done it but I've seen it's a lot of work!  Hopefully next year things come together! :up:

I am over gauging my hunts based on kill rates. I gave it 100 percent and so did my guide. I think as long as I can ride horses I will hunt with this group every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/30/2018 at 7:04 PM, tjfslaughter said:

I am over gauging my hunts based on kill rates. I gave it 100 percent and so did my guide. I think as long as I can ride horses I will hunt with this group every year.

Lots of people judge hunts solely based on success. 

There are so many variable involved in guided hunts and each hunt has its own unique circumstances. 

2 things that are completely out of a hunters control is weather and game movement. 

Just knowing you are hunting in the right area with the right outfit is all you need. 

Ive eaten a lot of money in tags but its all part of the adventure

www.liftxrentals.com

On 9/26/2018 at 6:13 PM, Lunatic said:

This is cool, I am doing horse back elk hunt in BC in 2020, can't wait

Horse back hunting has its own set of challenges. 

I hunted moose on horseback in BC a few years back. 

Our horses had hobbles put on their front legs and bells on their necks  every night and left loose to feed   every morning we woke up, the horses were miles from camp. Every day we were chasing horses around for the 1st few hours of the day. Up and down steep slippery trails, constantly on and off the horses, river crossings where the horse is damn near swimming. 

One of the stone sheep hunters in my camp got kicked on the first day and got a broken leg. Moral of the story, never walk behind a horse. 

He was in camp for 10 long days until the bush plane could get back in. 

The horse I had was a gentle giant. He knew the trails and every night in the dark that horse was on auto pilot and pretty much walked his way back. He did take a spill and toss me off one time when he went up to his neck in water. 

On a horse back hunt, you never know how its going to go. 

Every horse is different and 10 days on a stubborn horse and you will want to make dog food out of him. 

I did see quite a few elk, all depends on the weather. If its warm, be prepared to climb the highest of mountains above the tree line. If its snowy and cold, the elk will be lower. 

If youve never been around horses, you may want to take some lessons. 

You may want to make sure you are in climbing shape too, because once you spot one, most likely you will be on foot. If you cant climb, your hunt is pretty much over. 

Hope you like mountain house food. Nothing like dumping water in a bag for your meals

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

On a horse back hunt, you never know how its going to go. 

If you notice in the pic with my deer the scab on my nose. I literally got head butted by one of the horses. Luckily didn’t break my nose. Last year got tossed and broke my tail bone but I will jump on them anytime for a hunt. My guide is happy that I can last a week on the horses. In this case 9 days.