IGNORED

She's home!!.. My new Hoyt Compound Matrix

Axiom

Axiom, your arrows are roughly cpmpleted with those 4 in vanes is 408 grains complete. Also take into consideration the rubber tubing on your peep, the peep, kisser button and loop all add weight to the string and will slow the the speed of the bow. Also cam timing plays a part in the speed because every cam has an optimized position where it is faster. Even the way you release your bow string on the shot can add or take away a few fps..

Thanks BTE.. Thats good to know.. Looks like i have some wriggle room to speed things up if what i have now doesnt work too well...

:D

Great shooting so far, especially for your first compound. Great bow too. Maybe I'll run into you one day at the BRWMA range.

Didn't read through all the comments, but I noticed some stuff about arrow weights.

Honestly, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in going with ultra light arrows to gain speed. For hunting, I prefer to stick to medium/heavy arrows. Sure you lose some FPS, but you retain energy longer which equates to better penetration. It also allows your bow to be quieter because more energy is being transferred into the arrow and not back into the bow.

I'm a firm believer in slim to micro diameter shafts with middle of the road gpi and pretty high FOC for hunting.

Regardless, whatever you shoot, put it where it needs to go! ;)

BTW, Faster, when it comes to easton/beman arrows a 340 is actually heavier than a 400. That is the spine of the arrow (how stiff). In it's simplest terms: When flexed using standard spine testing equipment a 300 arrow shaft bends .300 inches. A 340 bends .340. A 400 bends .400 so on and so forth.

Not all manufacturers label their arrows like that though. Carbon Express for example uses the numbers 150, 250, 350, 450 for a lot of their shafts. Those aren't the spines though, nor are they the weights. 250's are pretty much a .400 spine, 350's are a .340 spine and 450's are a .300 spine.

While you will generally go up in weight as you go stiffer in spine, it's not always true since some arrow models are built to be ultra-light and some built to be heavy.

Edited by Matty

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

BTW, Faster, when it comes to easton/beman arrows a 340 is actually heavier than a 400. That is the spine of the arrow (how stiff). In it's simplest terms: When flexed using standard spine testing equipment a 300 arrow shaft bends .300 inches. A 340 bends .340. A 400 bends .400 so on and so forth.

Interesting... so what would the GPI be on the ics 400's?

Edited by Faster

Faster,

Off the top of my head, the GPI (grains per inch) for the Beman ICS hunter arrows in 340 spine is either 9.0 or 9.3 gpi. They probably have the info listed on Bemans website or in the item description for some online dealers.

So assuming it's 9.0gpi....a 30" shaft will be 270 grains. Now that's NOT including the nock, fletching, insert, glue, point, and wrap/crest, etc. Finished arrow will be over 400 grains assuming a 100 grain point.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Honestly, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in going with ultra light arrows to gain speed. For hunting, I prefer to stick to medium/heavy arrows

Well, At 265fps i'm a little worried about haveing the same problem faster had with deer jumping the string...  would like to get up around 300fps... Maybe cranking the draw wieght up to 70 from 60#s will do it without changing arrow specs.., i dunno... But anyway i'm not changing a thing until i experience a problem first hand... :cupcoffee:

Yeah we shot a couple arrows thru the chrono at the shop... Was thinking the same thing about how quiet it is so, thats why i'm not going to change anything until i see how the deer are going to react...

So far i havent had any deer jump the string on my xbow. It's pretty loud and shoots almost 300fps sooo.... :cupcoffee:

Speed is nice to have, but not at the expense of a qiuet, easy to draw and accurate bow. 265 fps is not that bad, I've killed a few deer with a longbow, a recurve and at 240 fps with my older compounds. The key is to take your shot at relaxed unaware deer.

EXACTLY!

The key is to take your shot at relaxed unaware deer.

There is a lot of pressure where i hunt.. Early on the deer are mostly relaxed but, as the season progresses they get more and more skittish and it gets to  the point where they will bolt faster than greased lightning if they even so much as hear a acorn fall from a tree or a squirrel fart... :acclaim:

• 4 weeks later...

D day is fast aproaching so i figured its just about  time to start practicing with my Broadheads...  So i went out to a Public Archery range in Kearny with a buddy who lives out that way  and shot a few and must say i am a bit surprised at how differently they flew out of my compound vs. field tips.. I expected the groupings to be only slightly different but not so different as to warrent much adjustment... As you can see in the pic below, at 20 yards all arrows pulled a good 4 inches left ,, No vertical drift though... Used 100 grain fixed blade montecs..  No poroblem.. They did group well so its just a matter of adjusting the sight alittle..i guess

Broadheads.jpg