IGNORED

Coyote Hunting with Dogs Oklahoma

tjfslaughter

I went to Oklahoma for a short trip over the weekend to visit my parents.  They live in SW Oklahoma.  I was able to go out Sunday morning to look for some pigs and watch a coyote hunt with dogs.  You don't need a license to hunt pigs.  I went with my friend Ryan who runs CastandBang.com (Oklahoma Outfitters).  It was a simple deal.  Drive around and glass for pigs and coyotes.  I was hoping to be able to take a 600-800 yard shot with my 300 win.  

One of the other time honored traditions during the winter is to chase coyotes with dogs.  This has been going on since the 1950's in this family.  The dogs are a Grey Hound and Russian Wolf hound mix.  Some people might not like this style of hunting coyotes but these are ranchers/cattlemen that want to keep the population in check first and foremost.  The way the hunt is conducted is multiple trucks drive around glassing and once we have a coyote located the truck with the dogs drives up and from the cab of the truck the dogs are released with a lever and the dogs take off.  I will tell you these dogs are FAST.  Once the lead dog gets on him he knocks it to the ground the second dog comes in and goes for the kill.  Even the family lab gets in on it but it takes her a little while to catch up and usually the coyote has already expired.  I have a video that will be posted later on today.  Ryan will be posting as well.  

After the hunt Ryan's mom cooked up some homemade biscuits and gravy with fried eggs!  After breakfast we put out a milk jug at 600 yards and plinked at it from the porch.  Please see attached photos.  Some are from previous years, on Sunday I watched 2 turn outs within 30 seconds of each other and 2 coyotes were taken out.