IGNORED

All around hunting dog???

Sorry a little late to the topic, but I own a griff myself so perhaps I can add a little to the conversation. I needed a mostly hypo allergenic, non-shedding (mostly) hunting dog and that is what drew me to the Griff. I’ve had Gracie since 2009. Greatest dog I have ever owned...BUT like any dog, training is key and most of THAT has to do with personality(imo). Personality of a dog reflects what you want out of the dog and your hunting style. While I truly believe that GSP’s are phenomenal dogs, they don’t fit my personality. What I mean is, they are very strong-willed, task focused and in my opinion, robotic like dogs. With my Griff, I feel like I have a personality that I “work with” like a partner in the field. It’s kind of like dealing with my wife, sometimes there’s negotiation and sometimes I just let her do what she does best. The bottle line is that we are both focused on the same task!

A DD was my second choice and DD is a great dog, very resolute in their approach, but can be stubborn. A Griff is also very resolute, but alloof. They are exceptionally smart, but sometimes to their detriment. For example, mine was in the middle of a tracking test, saw the judge and went to say “hi”; then proceeded to track and retrieve the bird from a previous test. She brought it back, but it was the wrong bird. Crappy on a test, but still pretty resourceful! A DD would have stayed on task and kept searching for the bird it was started on. Which would you rather have? The resolute or the thinker? The one thing about training a Griff is that the trainer needs to fully understand that the dog is always calculating. They seem to thrive on solving puzzles, so training needs to be smart. (I actually had her working with George Hickox, who said he preferred GSP’s because they were easier to work with!)

As to aloofness, my Griff hunts great with me and my friends dogs, but go out with a different dog and she’s more into having fun, not as much focus on the hunt. So not a positive for most. That being said, there are stories I could tell you which would blow your mind. I have yet to find any dog who will climb through ten feet of nasty thorns or dive into a thicket to point a bird. (Granted there may be some others out there but only telling you what I’ve experienced Including some really wimpy GSP’s who will not go into the same crap that Gracie will!). From a tracking standpoint, when a bird is lost in a high grass, my buddies call for the “Dr.“ to find the bird. And yes, while walking her in the woods, she has come across a single drop of blood and followed it carefully through a deep swamp until she happened to come across a fallen deer a hunter must have lost track of!

So clearly I have an affinity for Griffs, but I don’t want to cast any illusions of greatness. If they were the greatest hunting dogs on the planet then everyone would have one. However I have yet to find a hunter willing to turn down a hunt with a Griff! From an owners view; they have a buttload of energy and need both physical and mental stimulation. It really depends upon what your personality is what you’re looking for. Quite frankly, not many test well (mine did get a NA prize 1) but it’s what they do in the field that counts. Most Griff owners I know are smart, happy go lucky guys, who just want to have fun with their dogs in the field and then he a goofball at home... If that’s you then you’re probably going to have a blast!

1sm260gun1.gif

• 3 weeks later...

No matter what you choose remember it's all in the breeding. It drives me nuts when I hear about a hunting buddy that says me he got a great deal on a dog. The price you pay is the least you will pay for that dog. Spend your time and choose a good field or hunting linage. You will pay a little more but it will be worth it. Stay away from the puppy mills in Pa. They are saying their dogs have papers but the AKC papers don't stand for American Kennel Club.

No matter what you choose remember it's all in the breeding. It drives me nuts when I hear about a hunting buddy that says me he got a great deal on a dog. The price you pay is the least you will pay for that dog. Spend your time and choose a good field or hunting linage. You will pay a little more but it will be worth it. Stay away from the puppy mills in Pa. They are saying their dogs have papers but the AKC papers don't stand for American Kennel Club.

Yep I've realized that it's the breeding that comes first then the dog then the training and then all the doctor vet bills!!!

I appreciate all the information guys I'm actually taking my time trying to find the right pup for us.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Update on the all-around hunting dog!!!

First off I want to thank all of you guys for your input it was greatly appreciated and it helped me make a decision.

You all gave me a bunch of information, personal experiences with the pups of your choice. I spoke to a few of you on the phone about their dog and why they chose them.

I also did a lot of research talked to a lot of people about their dogs and dogs they have had. Everyone definitely seems partial to their breed not that there's anything wrong with that.

Based on all those discussions I narrowed it down to a Griffon, a GSP, Lab and... The one I chose.

I was able to attend a field trial of this breed last weekend and now I'm sure I made the right decision.

They were testing the natural abilities of the pups anywhere from 12 months to 15 months old.

In the a.m. they were searching for chukkars and pointing. In the afternoon they were scent tracking and chasing rabbits.

Dogs are fast and strong have a wire coat and a short coat able to swim in frigid temperature and also be quiet in a Duck Blind. They will Point, track, fetch, blood track and retrieve.

There are strict breeding regulations they do x-rays for hip dysplasia blood test for diseases and one dog this weekend was disqualified from breeding cuz they had a crooked/ingrown tooth. They cannot be bred unless they pass three different individualized field trials.

The dog i decided to go with is the Deutsch-Drahthaar!

Expected whelping date is April 21st!

I can't wait.

Now all I need to do is gather all the training supplies I might need to train this dogs do everything!

If anybody has training stuff they would like to get rid of please let me know.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Edited by cewoz560

No matter what you choose remember it's all in the breeding. It drives me nuts when I hear about a hunting buddy that says me he got a great deal on a dog. The price you pay is the least you will pay for that dog. Spend your time and choose a good field or hunting linage. You will pay a little more but it will be worth it. .....

I agree. Buying a pup with a longtime, documented lineage ..... from a reputable breeder ..... ​may be the difference of a good dog or a truly great dog.

I've only owned labs (except for a flat coated retriever I gave a home to because she was going to be euthanized), so I'm no expert, but ..... pheasants, ducks, even hounding rabbits in central Pennsylvania, temperament ..... hard to go wrong.

Good luck.