IGNORED

Bears stopped hitting bait

mattg1500

Had about five different bears hitting a bait site.the bait ran out for about a day until I could re bait. We refilled 2 50gal drums and posted property same day. Since then only 1 bear has returned. Any thoughts?

Also 1 barrel has a hole in the side and 1 has a door at 1 end. That bear hasnt touched the 1 with the door yet. Were thinking of moving about 100yds and setting up a test site.

I personally think its way too early to start baiting.  Too much can change, at least where I hunt, including crop harvesting (affects both food and cover) as well as establish of other bait sites by other hunters.  It's possible that any number of factors might have affected the visits - including people starting to scout (unless your on private lands) - it does not take to much human disturbance in an area to affect animal behavior.

It is private land surrounded by private land. We setup based on seeing trails and bear shit so thats where the barrels are. They are across from the river so I figured thays close enough to a water source. Started earlier than plannes because its the first time on this lease. Also had the issue with neighbors dogs running through the site but hopefully thats over.

Who has better bait than yours?

Not sure, had a large selection from dog food to popcorn to donuts and bread. They only ate the donuts and let the rest lay on the ground to rot, so now i go mostly sweets some bread to fill

Edited by mattg1500

in My opinion they will be back. No food for a day or so so they parked somewhere else. They know this place and they will return when the food runs out where they are at now or they get sick of it.

Edited by Lunatic

Not sure, had a large selection from dog food to popcorn to donuts and bread. They only ate the donuts and let the rest lay on the ground to rot, so now i go mostly sweets some bread to fill

Ms. Grit had a thread where she talked about some of the things she was baiting with.  I think it was donuts and bagels, and she had great results.  If you had a bunch of bacon fat to pour on the bagels, that would work too.

Bears are looking for high calorie food to bulk up with.  So keep that in mind too.  They are opportunists, but need the highest calorie food to increase fat mass.  Give them the opportunity and calories.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.