IGNORED

200,000 mile club

I am a little old school.  I change mine every 4k and still check the oil every time I fill up the gas tank, and wash the windshields :)

I have been changing oil in my cars every 5K since my first car in the 80's. 2nd car I had for 5 years I never changed the oil. It had a steady leak, I used about a quart of oil/week so it was always clean. Only once mechanic talked my into changing transmission oil and I had transmission problems with in a weak. I never did it again. I also never rotate tires or flush radiators. I think my minimum maintenance approach comes from the fact I am not a car guy. It is a necessary evil for me and I hate doing anything on my car. Somehow it always worked for me and I think I saved enough money by now for something major to go wrong and still be ahead of the game. 

BTW on new cars I never check oil. I now have 3 older cars so I do it whenever I think of it, maybe once every couple of months

Edited by Lunatic

My buddy is a mechanic, he changes his oil once a year. He's got over 250,000 miles on his car.

We just leased a new Ford Escape for my wife and I was shocked how seldom they told us to change oil. Between much tighter machining tolerances and improvements to oil - especially synthetic oils - there is no more need to change it every 4K. I think they told us 10K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just leased a new Ford Escape for my wife and I was shocked how seldom they told us to change oil. Between much tighter machining tolerances and improvements to oil - especially synthetic oils - there is no more need to change it every 4K. I think they told us 10K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct.  Wifes Volvo is every 10k.

I want to keep my old suburban going, plus I enjoy working on cars.