IGNORED

ANNUAL shot selection/placement/anatomy thread

JHbowhunter

Rusty - the shot I was referring to which shocked me when scapula was down, the facing front leg was extreme forward and on ground, the opposite front leg was extreme back. The doe was bending around licking her tail...  

And you couldn't wait until she was done doing whatever she was doing?  Some people have no respect, poor deer.   :shakehead:

deer yoga.png

Edited by Rusty

• 9 months later...

Thanks, Jack! :up:

Always good to see a visual! Second best experience we've had was at a deer farm in Upstate New York. We actually got to put our hands on a living deer and felt all the bones and how they move as the deer moves! Was worth more than we will ever know!

I would love to see this thread go to the "next level" and really delve deeper into front "facing leg" orientation.   When  front "facing YOU" leg is extending forward, what, if anything is blocking vitals...  humerus? Scapula?  What bones are interfering if facing leg is extended backwards?      I try not to overthink and just shoot if the angle is right, but really factoring in facing leg orientation should be considered.   I have always thought that when front leg is forward, scapula slides down to block much of lung and heart.   But - is it actually the opposite and it is the humerus (much narrower but tough obstacle) in the way?

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

9 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I would love to see this thread go to the "next level" and really delve deeper into front "facing leg" orientation.   

This shows it pretty good.  

When the leg is forward you have the largest unobstructed shot at the vitals.  

Edited by Rusty

funny video but cool, the music is catchy.  I believe moderate leg forward, you are correct, it's probably best opening available.  I do think extreme facing leg forward, does pull that scapula down to block mid to upper lung. If you watch that video closely you will see when the leg is extended during the walking, it does "start" to slide down but change direction as leg moves back.  So - if a deer is standing, feeding, relaxed and has the leg much further forward than this video is showing, I do firmly believe that the scapula is sliding down further than that video is showing.    One of us may have to do an autopsy this year and do a video to show this. OR  - we could trust DV1's analysis because he has already done it and confirmed what I am saying...

So to me - moderate leg forward, or straight down, or moderately back - take the shot it's a great shot if deer is broadside or very slight angle. 

EXTREME LEG FORWARD - might want to hold off, unless deer is quartering away at a decent angle than it's irrelevant, you are aiming for last rib and exiting armpit area (your goal). 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

• 3 weeks later...