IGNORED

Gap Shooting & poundage.

Sticks n' Stones

What's " gap" shooting, and can you explain how it works? Then out of curiosity, what poundage do you guys use for hunting, etc. I know bout the minimal poundage laws and such, and not to mention what I train with is a tad bit above average for poundage, just was curious about a norm of sorts.

Edited by Sticks n' Stones

Gap shooting is using the space between pins for the yardage you are shooting at that moment. Ex. U have a 30 and a 40 pin with a target at 35 u put your 30 a tad high number your 40 a tad low. When I used multiple pins I never had even yardage pins. I always had a 15 a 26 and 34. For the simple reason a deer is almost never exact. Now I have went to single pin and almost always keep it set at 28. For my set up in good from 10 to 33 yards within normal inch. Hope this helped. I also shoot 70 lbs at 27 inch

Gap shooting is using the space between pins for the yardage you are shooting at that moment. Ex. U have a 30 and a 40 pin with a target at 35 u put your 30 a tad high number your 40 a tad low. When I used multiple pins I never had even yardage pins. I always had a 15 a 26 and 34. For the simple reason a deer is almost never exact. Now I have went to single pin and almost always keep it set at 28. For my set up in good from 10 to 33 yards within normal inch. Hope this helped. I also shoot 70 lbs at 27 inch

This above with sight pins but if you're talking trad bow gap shooting its the "gap" between the arrow tip and the bullseye in the instictive sight picture

AWM

Mattg1500= So you mean a Mediterranean draw? I thought gap shooting was a way of range estimation?

vdep217= This is my fault, I forgot to put in that I'm a instinctive shooter, so while you obviously know a good amount on the topic of bow sights, it has nor relevance to me. Thanks for the info anyway, I'll try it with my compound.

Anyway I train (don't have archery license yet) with a English war bow with 80#@28", and 100#@32", and yes I can draw it to around 90#@30" max due to draw length constraints, granted thats right to my earlobe though.

Guess I should ask this as well, I have little (essentially no) peripheral vision, and decent eyesight, don't shoot with glasses so images aren't ultra sharp but I can still get it done, and have poor depth perception, but I'm while not a great shot, can get the job done. Way I see it, I've got a lot stacked against me for shooting, so how do I manage to still be decent accurate. Maybe muscle memory?   

Edited by Sticks n' Stones

so how do I manage to still be decent accurate. Maybe muscle memory?   

When I shoot instinctively while hunting I limit my shots to 15 yards or less.  Determine what your effective range is and keep your shots within your limit.   

As far as gap shooting,  when shooting instinctively you shouldn't really be focused on the gap between the arrow tip and point of impact.  It's like throwing a ball, your brain will automatically adjust the height if you practice enough.  The key is to focus on the point of impact and nothing else, and practice, practice, practice.