IGNORED

Good to see/Zone 5

LPJR

I ran into a group of hunters from Vermont staying in a cabin at Jenny Jump State Park during muzzle loader season. They were hunting Pequest all week. I can't imagine they come this far to take only one or two deer home each. I believe that the unlimited antlerless provision is being exploited by many out of state hunters. We may want to consider limiting the number of antlerless deer for non-resident hunters and make each of the unlimited antlerless zones trophy buck zones (3 points or more on one side). Just my opinion.

I ran into a group of hunters from Vermont staying in a cabin at Jenny Jump State Park during muzzle loader season. They were hunting Pequest all week. I can't imagine they come this far to take only one or two deer home each. I believe that the unlimited antlerless provision is being exploited by many out of state hunters. We may want to consider limiting the number of antlerless deer for non-resident hunters and make each of the unlimited antlerless zones trophy buck zones (3 points or more on one side). Just my opinion.

I don't disagree with you,considering how much other states charge non-residents to hunt there and limit us to one deer.  We have/had a good deer herd and to let hunters come in from other states is fine but not have unlimited harvest.  One deer and go home. 

I know of a few non residents that hunt NJ, they come from PA, NY, VT, ME, NH, CONN,....they all come to kill for meat regardless of the deer's sex....then they go home to hunt bucks only.....so yes I agree the unlimited anterless has drawn in hunters from other places plus the fee for a license is NR friendly with the amount of deer allowed......

I am seeing a refreshing uptick in z5 deer numbers this season, and definitely more does than last year. 

There are a number of factors involved, over-hunting, coyotes, bears, maturing forests,  .  .  .  .  but another big factor, in my opinion, has been the winter weather.  We had 3 tough winters in a row and the deer herd really suffered.  Last year we had an extremely mild winter with one of the heaviest acorn crops on record and this seems to have really benefitted the herd.  

My Christmas wish:

1. A few more mild winters.

2. A permanently lowered bear population.

3. Logging on our WMAs.   

There are a number of factors involved, over-hunting, coyotes, bears, maturing forests,  .  .  .  .  but another big factor, in my opinion, has been the winter weather.  We had 3 tough winters in a row and the deer herd really suffered.  Last year we had an extremely mild winter with one of the heaviest acorn crops on record and this seems to have really benefitted the herd.  

My Christmas wish:

1. A few more mild winters.

2. A permanently lowered bear population.

3. Logging on our WMAs.   

And two flexible buck tags, per calendar year, use them as you wish. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Limit the season lengths.  Five - Six months of hunting, baiting, trail cam checking, stand hanging, stand relocations, wandering around aimlessly, and its no wonder the deer are pressured into the five-acre minimum subdivisions only to return to the woods in March ....................

But I did see an increase in deer this year in Zone 5

Edited by LittleM