• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

HOW many guys actually stuck to their QDM goals ??

21 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 08:35 PM

And only harvested MATURE deer and left the rest walk on by for another day ??

seems very few actually walk the talk , and when not seeing the buck they hoped to shoot , just decide to lower their standards. sometimes even a few times each season
:rofl:
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

#2 OFFLINE   IanB21

IanB21

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 08:39 PM

thats the only way i hunt!! if its not bigger than what i have on my wall it walks. until this year i didnt take a buck in 5 years. shot a 130 class buck in archery. If i need meat i shoot does. took 9 does between PA and NJ this year
HVAC Solutions Heating & Cooling https://www.facebook...olutionsforHVAC

#3 OFFLINE   runum n gunum

runum n gunum

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 08:40 PM

I walked the talk during bow season passed a bunch of bucks. But come shotgun hunted a piece that will be built on next year and took 2 young bucks.

#4 Male OFFLINE   tcook8296

tcook8296

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 10:26 PM

:beatingdeadhorse::rofl:
I get the feeling Ive seen this topic someplace before. Just cant put my finger on it

#5 OFFLINE   fish_hunter

fish_hunter

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 10:29 PM

;)sounds familiar

#6 Male OFFLINE   tcook8296

tcook8296

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 10:40 PM

one buck for me. Early November. I have another big one lurking but hes not playing nice

#7 OFFLINE   buckleader1011

buckleader1011

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 10:54 PM

Its nj does not matter if you stick to Qdma because guess what? Your neighbors don't!!!! Nj is all about quantity not quality!

#8 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 01:45 AM

Its nj does not matter if you stick to Qdma because guess what? Your neighbors don't!!!! Nj is all about quantity not quality!

While much of that is true, and many bucks you let walk do get shot by another hunter close by, SOME are going to make it through. And sooner or later those ones will add up. Bucks that do survive the neighbors pressure will also end up staying on your property if done correctly.

to each his own , shoot what makes you happy. NJ def has the potential to be as good or better than Ohio, just too much greed here as there is with everything else that comes with NJ
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#9 Male OFFLINE   MackofallTrades

MackofallTrades

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 08:52 AM

I did. I told myself I wouldn't shoot a buck that with less than 6 points (caveated if he was an old, limping grandpa - but we dont get many of those in NJ).

Needless to say, I let a couple 4 pointers and countless does walk this year. Ended up with one doe during earn a buck. Worst part is that I lost alot of that meat during the Sandy power outage...

#10 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 09:02 AM

While much of that is true, and many bucks you let walk do get shot by another hunter close by, SOME are going to make it through. And sooner or later those ones will add up. Bucks that do survive the neighbors pressure will also end up staying on your property if done correctly.

to each his own , shoot what makes you happy. NJ def has the potential to be as good or better than Ohio, just too much greed here as there is with everything else that comes with NJ

I agree. Saying that it can't make a difference in NJ is just an excuse not to practice it. I didn't shoot a buck this year because my target buck got past me twice with the bow and I let walk dozens or more smaller bucks between bow and shotgun seasons. I did shoot 3 does to keep our local herd in better balance, but if some of the smaller bucks I let walk got shot on adjoining public lands, so be it. I did my part.

#11 OFFLINE   10pt

10pt

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 12:01 PM

Missing most of the season in 2011 made me realize its not always about shooting a monster,i was very happy with the 7 pt i killed.Didn't kill a buck this year.missed a big one,saw a couple out of range and passed quite a few.2 of the bucks I passed were killed and posted on NJH.

#12 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, I've always stuck to my QDM goals. Often times, like this season, it results in unfilled buck tags. Though I was able to fill my freezer with a few big mature does. So no venison shortage.

If you're too busy to hunt....You're too busy!

- Sent from my Alexander Graham Bell Hand Crank Model Mar101876 Phone

#13 OFFLINE   Rutting Buck

Rutting Buck

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 12:50 PM

I stuck yo my goals as well. At our place in Va we took 5 mature bucks off the property & 2 mature does in the opening week of muzzleloader (1st week of November). In NJ I took 2 jacked up bucks off the property and no does. I stuck to my goals last year not shooting any small bucks and I have to say I feel as if it made a difference this year. I saw more bigger bucks this year than last year.
"Your short on ears and long on mouth"

#14 OFFLINE   Hetley75

Hetley75

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 12:52 PM

Didnt get out much this year but when I did went for particular bucks. Didnt take a buck for 3 years just to let the smaller ones go

#15 OFFLINE   deerkiller18

deerkiller18

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 01:13 PM

With the bow i did. I am waiting for a good one. I had never killed a deer with a shotgun so 7 am tuesday morning i drove back from school for the day and i took a spike. It sure was not a monster but i was still very happy about it. So next year it will be a mature buck or no buck at all. If i get antsy ill go for a doe

#16 OFFLINE   SilverHawk94

SilverHawk94

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 11:14 PM

I've also always stuck to my QDM goals. It has almost always lead to an unfilled buck tag, but I don't mind. Last year it finally paid off and I connected on a decent mature buck for my first buck in about 18 years of hunting. (I posted pics under "My First Buck" on this site). I've passed some good bucks in my days of hunting. If I didn't do that, I often never would have even seen the big bucks because they are very rarely the first you see during the season.

I usually end up taking mature does just to fill the freezer...
“A free people ought to be armed.” George Washington

“You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.” Admiral Yamamoto

Okay so now that we have made that clear, lets preserve our Country and our Rights.

#17 Male OFFLINE   Liv2hunt

Liv2hunt

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02/09/13 - 03:30 PM

I don't really have QDM goals I don't own land. As far as letting deerr walk yes Let lots got the pass.
I Just want to Hunt...

#18 Male OFFLINE   NJBowman

NJBowman

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02/09/13 - 05:01 PM

i did I killed quite a few does but no bucks. Passed on a bunch of 2.5 yr olds

#19 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 02/09/13 - 09:59 PM

I ATE alot of tags this season, and actually like the soup they made !!!!!!!!
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#20 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 02/09/13 - 11:02 PM

I ATE alot of tags this season, and actually like the soup they made !!!!!!!!

I had some of that tasty green soup as well:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users