IGNORED

Latest project. (pictures)

So I needed some plaques for euro mounts I'm doing and since I like to make my own stuff whenever possible, I decided to try my hand at it.

Rufous (Rusty) made a really nice plaque for Jon a couple years ago, and I couldn't remember exactly what it looked like, but I had a general idea. So I looked at some old stone Indian arrowheads, got a basic idea for what I wanted, drew it on paper and made some patterns. Got some 1x12 pine board and used the jigsaw to cut out the shapes. Then used a rough rasp to give it a hand chiseled broadhead look. Stained everything up while it was apart. Used some 3/4" dowel, got the angles, counter sunk the holes and glued and screwed them together.

You can probably tell by the knots that the one with the skull on it is not the same one being cut out, I didn't think to take pictures until after the first one was done. I still have to touch up the rough edges with stain since they soak it up like crazy and also have to put a finish on the entire thing still, but I thought it turned out pretty good for a first try. Second one is almost done now and I have enough wood for one more. The 8 pointer is my NY state buck from a couple years ago, the 6 pointer is Beaverkills NY buck.

euro mounts.jpg

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Another trick I do is use a soldering torch and pass it lightly over the wood. It will darken only the light spots in the wood giving it a nice pattern. I'll post some pics of my arrow head plaques done like this when I get home. The wife and I are in Cape May until tomorrow. Nice job on your plaques they look good.

Aim Small Miss Small..........No such thing as a bad day spent hunting.

Another trick I do is use a soldering torch and pass it lightly over the wood. It will darken only the light spots in the wood giving it a nice pattern. I'll post some pics of my arrow head plaques done like this when I get home. The wife and I are in Cape May until tomorrow. Nice job on your plaques they look good.

Thanks all.

The torch idea is Interesting....I will have to mess around with some scrap wood and see what I can come up with. Would like to see what you mean too when you have a chance to take pictures and post them.

I also thought about making the wood look old, weathered and used by rough sanding it, hammering it and banging it up, then coating it in a combination of black tea, steel wool and vinegar. I've never tried it, but supposedly you can make brand new wood look like real old barn wood.

Might mess around with that too. But wasn't sure how good a "fit" that would be for euro mounts.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

That’s a great way to make a pedestal mount Matt.  Very creative and it looks great.

Rufous (Rusty) made a really nice plaque for Jon a couple years ago, and I couldn't remember exactly what it looked like

I used a rasp to round off the edges on the one I made for Jon.

arrowhead_zps546fe493.jpg

Edited by Rufous

Here's one that I did with a torch. I like the rough edges on the plaques you guys made. I'll have to try that next time.

IMG_20130503_005827.jpg

Aim Small Miss Small..........No such thing as a bad day spent hunting.

Thanks guys!

Rusty, thanks for adding the pic. I was making one of these for Jons buck from last year and I wanted it to somewhat match the one you made him. I forgot you did the cutouts all the way around. I think it still carries enough of the theme over though that he'll be happy with it. I loved the leather string you used to hang it too...that was awesome.

Kilbo, I like the way it looks with the torched wood, kind of looks like more expensive/exotic wood when you do that. Like zebra or cocobolo almost. I'll have to mess around with it. Thanks for adding the pictures and the idea.

Rusty, thanks for adding the pic.      I loved the leather string you used to hang it too...that was awesome.

That’s just because I’m too lazy to do it the right way.   :rofl: 

5eb318a4-dfc4-4439-a145-1a004f9122f9_zps

Edited by Rufous