IGNORED

good smoker?

I'm thinking about getting a smoker. Lot's out there across a wide price range. What do you folks have - the good and the bad?

I would prefer electric only because I hate having to keep and maintain a propane tank, they can smoke at lower temps than gas (I think?), and I like the idea of "set it and forget it". But electric is only a preference, not a requirement.

I have a masterbuilt sportsman with the meat probe. Its electric,uses chips, holds temp fairly consistant. Bradley makes some very nice units that add pellets on their own and look very solid but they are twice the price. For non elec traeger is sweet!

Edited by mattg1500

I have a Master Built 40. Love it for the most part.

Some things like ribs I like better slow cooking on grill indirect and using an AMAZEN pellet smoke generator. https://www.amazenproducts.com/

The electric is good for long smokes like briskets, pork butts, turkeys, etc. just set and forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Master Built 40. Love it for the most part.

Some things like ribs I like better slow cooking on grill indirect and using an AMAZEN pellet smoke generator. https://www.amazenproducts.com/

The electric is good for long smokes like briskets, pork butts, turkeys, etc. just set and forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much this^^.

I have a MES 30, wish I had the 40 but, you know, budgets. With the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker, you can get about 12 hours of smoke for long smokes. Meat only takes so much smoke and 12 hours is over doing it but you can also light it from both ends to give you a bit more 'smoke' flavor but it will cut the burn time in half. Probably need to do some modifications, like a common mailbox mod, and while it's not common, there have been instances where the electrics have caught fire, so be mindful where you put it, especially if leaving it to smoke overnight. The MES turns out really good food but there is still a bit of a difference without the wood or charcoal smoke, not much, but if you do it enough, you'll notice.

You can't do high heat on the MES so you will still want a gas or charcoal grill for crisping chicken skin, searing steaks, etc. 

I also have a Weber kettle and pretty much use them both together. The Weber is also pretty versatile when you add a Slow N Sear. This may be one of the best add-on's for the Kettle there is. You fill the Slow N Sear and start it as directed and you can get a solid 10 hours of heat. Brisket and pork shoulders will take longer, and that's where turn on the MES to finish them, and then refill the Weber and do some chicken leg quarters, breasts or thighs while the big cuts are finishing.

You can smoke on the Weber with or without the Slow N Sear, it just makes it easier but it's also just a regular charcoal grill so good for doing steaks, burgers, dogs and chicken. Can also get a pizza stone and do pizza's on them.

The MES is also good for doing sides, like smoked baked beans or smoked mac n cheese, cold smoking cheese, fish and nuts (need either a mailbox mod or cold smoke attachment).

If you have some $$ to spend, look into the Traeger Pellet grills, maybe the best thing going now. 

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Good Smoker or Great Smoker?

I have been using a COOK SHACK smoker.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_2/SuperSmoker-Model-SM045

The smoker is a set it and forget it type.

Very easy even for a dummy like me.

Works excellent, made in the USA also.

Just some thing to give you another option to kick around.

Edited by Bill from NJ

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

I've owned about 4-5 smokers over the years, mostly gas ones and never an electric one.  I have a Weber Smokey Mountain 18", and it is hands down the best smoker I've ever owned.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/smokey-mountain-cooker-series

I've done whole briskets, pork butts, and a few other things with it.  Once you get the hang of it, it can be set-and-forget, but I recommended against thinking that way.  If that's what you want, get an electric with an auto-feeder.  Most other smokers will require adjustments to air vents.

I also take meat off the smoker when they hit an internal temperature of 165°F-170°F and wrap them in foil.  At this temperature meat sweats out the moisture, and you can retain all of it by wrapping it in foil.  Your meat won't come off the smoker dry, and it'll be tender and juicy.

Can't say enough great things about the Weber.  A good portion of competitive BBQers will use the weber for their contest submissions.  Yes, they haul around trailer smokers, but for competitions they'll use the smaller Weber to have better control over their submissions.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I have a master built dual fuel smoker . I've only been messing around with it on and off for about a year . I've only used gas but after the initial learning curve of heat , wood chips , and types of meat it's become pretty simple . A lot of fun to be honest, but you need to devote the time . My buddy has a master built electric smoker and it's pretty nice , definitely more of a set it and forget it kind of unit . Just set the temp , and throw in wood chips every once in a while . Not as fun , but when we were fishing on lake Champlain this year it was nice to just come back , turn it on, and replace the wood chips every few trips to the fridge for a beer . Smoked mac and cheese with venison pork roll from Elys was a big hit !

I have a master built dual fuel smoker . I've only been messing around with it on and off for about a year . I've only used gas but after the initial learning curve of heat , wood chips , and types of meat it's become pretty simple . A lot of fun to be honest, but you need to devote the time . My buddy has a master built electric smoker and it's pretty nice , definitely more of a set it and forget it kind of unit . Just set the temp , and throw in wood chips every once in a while . Not as fun , but when we were fishing on lake Champlain this year it was nice to just come back , turn it on, and replace the wood chips every few trips to the fridge for a beer . Smoked mac and cheese with venison pork roll from Elys was a big hit !

Do a mailbox mod and get an A-MAZE-N pellet smoke generator and there will be no more return trips to add wood chips. It's truly "set it and forget it". 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

One of my smokers is a 20lb from the sausagemaker.com.  Had I known I would get into it I would have gotten the 30lb and also in stainless. That being said its about 15 years old and still going.  I keep it in my shed and vented it through the roof. Ps. I built a shelves so it's about waist high at the bottom.

Edited by jerseyhunter