IGNORED

Propane tank fire pit

Swamp_Yankee

I've been wanting a good "bowl" type fire pit for our patio but really heavy ones (ie: won't rust out in one season) are extremely expensive. The other day I was driving down the road and saw a 420lb/120 gallon propane tank laying on its side next to an old garage. I got in touch with the property owner and made arrangements to pick it up. I plan on cutting the tank somewhere below the bottom 1/3 so that I have a nice bowl sitting on a pedestal:

LfrYfPT.jpg

First things first before I do anything I'm going to remove the valve and simply let it vent, assuming there's anything in it at all. I've heard of people filling or flushing them with water before welding or cutting but propane vaporizes at -44°F so once the tank is depressurized (by removing the valve) and vented to atmospheric pressure it simply turns to a gas and escapes. What's the best way to get a nice clean cut all the way around the body of the tank? Once it's cut open I'm just going to coat it with BBQ paint, put some holes in the bottom for airflow, and maybe a grate to hold the logs/coals off of the bottom.

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

Sawzall Take it slow and easy drill enough entrance hole with 1/8 bit in line to get blade inside keep the blade cool with some lube if possible cutting oil.  3 in 1 also ok.  First, run a string around it to get a good Guideline for cutting use Marke or Tape. It is Mild Steel.  Getting the Valve off can be a Bitch if all fails a good Sledge Hammer works just snap it off.      Just be sure tank is purged If U don't have a Sawzall Harbor freight has one like $45. Good enough.

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

5 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

Sawzall Take it slow and easy drill enough entrance hole with 1/8 bit in line to get blade inside keep the blade cool with some lube if possible cutting oil.  3 in 1 also ok.  First, run a string around it to get a good Guideline for cutting use Marke or Tape. It is Mild Steel.  Getting the Valve off can be a Bitch if all fails a good Sledge Hammer works just snap it off.      Just be sure tank is purged If U don't have a Sawzall Harbor freight has one like $45. Good enough.

I have a Sawzall-blade recommendation?  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

I'd use a cut off wheel on a grinder.. not a sawsall.
Stand it up and take a length of wood whatever height you want, tape a marker to the end of it and place the other end on the ground (or a flat piece of plywood if ground isn't flat).. slide it around the tank to make a mark all the way around.
Lay it on its side and cut and roll the tank as you go. Easy as can be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I'd use a cut off wheel on a grinder.. not a sawsall.
Stand it up and take a length of wood whatever height you want, tape a marker to the end of it and place the other end on the ground (or a flat piece of plywood if ground isn't flat).. slide it around the tank to make a mark all the way around.
Lay it on its side and cut and roll the tank as you go. Easy as can be.

It will take forever with a cutoff wheel even if you have one or Compressor. the walls are some 1/8 + think would take a dozen wheels.  Just my 2 cents from being a Millwright and Sheet Metal Worker.  Blades for a Circular saw are not cheap and Can and will Explode if jammed. Check with Local Auto Body shop to see what they want to do it. might be best for you in the long run

Edited by 1957Buck

Definitely sawsall material and a half dozen or more blades.
Take your time, bent blades become useless.
Milwaulkee and or Dewalt metal or bimetal blades have worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Don’t waste your money at harbor freight on blades get some good metal cutting blades like lenox or Milwaukee and you will be set but definitely flush with water first I have welded propane tanks to make food plot roller you will be amazed at how much fumes come out with water 

10 hours ago, Whitetail31 said:

Don’t waste your money at harbor freight on blades get some good metal cutting blades like lenox or Milwaukee 

Flash. Most Blades are made in the same China Shop Today Red Blades tomorrow White Blades To waste any more $$ on Lenox or Milwaukee - Bosh for once in a while use is BS. Bi-Metal Ice Hardened is the best no matter the Brand.    The Right tooth is the Trick Light Pressure keep Guide on the Surface.  

If you go the sawsall route (which I still dont see how a seawall is any better than a cutoff wheel)
Use the diablos carbide tipped thick metal blades. I know plumbers that swear by them for cutting out large cast iron pipes.

http://www.diablotools.com/products/product/DS0608CF

I agree with jay, metal cutting wheel on a grinder is the way to go. I have worked with both for 35 years and on metal the cuttoff wheels will give you way more control than a sawzall. The wheels are way cheaper too. Btw, this is the method i have used to cut up multiple heavy gauge tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM