IGNORED

Hoping For A Great Acorn Crop

With today's stroll in the woods I was thinking the last mass crop in my area was 2021, friends of mine hunt 2 miles from me, another friend hunts 20 minutes south of me, they saw no acorns like me this past season. One of those friends lives in Hope, and it was a good acorn drop at his house, as well as a friend who hunts in the West Milford area, ......location,  location,  location 

We had a good acorn fall this past year in Sparta and since the majority of our oaks are in the red oak family, I don’t expect another good one this year. Reds take two years. But we get hickories every year and my chestnut whites and my regular whites didn’t do much last year, so my hopes lay with them doing well this year. 

18 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

We had a good acorn fall this past year in Sparta and since the majority of our oaks are in the red oak family, I don’t expect another good one this year. Reds take two years. But we get hickories every year and my chestnut whites and my regular whites didn’t do much last year, so my hopes lay with them doing well this year. 

Spot I hunt in PA has a ridiculous amount of chestnut whites every year 

deer hardly touch them , thousands of them still on the ground this week .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I wish deer or something ate those F#$%N spikey balls that fall from a Sorghum tree !!!!  I raked up about 20 bags so far this winter and the trees still look like they didn't drop any !!!  LOL

5 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Spot I hunt in PA has a ridiculous amount of chestnut whites every year 

deer hardly touch them , thousands of them still on the ground this week .

That’s always the issue with chestnut oaks. But in years where they are the only acorns, we see many get eaten. 

Just now, Bucksnbows said:

That’s always the issue with chestnut oaks. But in years where they are the only acorns, we see many get eaten. 

They must really be  bitter .

because they couldn’t look any nicer than they do . 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 minute ago, Msgdan said:

I wish deer or something ate those F#$%N spikey balls that fall from a Sorghum tree !!!!  I raked up about 20 bags so far this winter and the trees still look like they didn't drop any !!!  LOL

And that’s a species expected to move north as the climate warms. We will lose sugar maple, but gain crap like black gum and catalpa.  They are a PITA when you are a landowner and have one that drops into your grass!