IGNORED

Apples still hanging on

When the temperatures drop below 25 degrees F, apples can freeze while still hanging on the tree, resulting in a fermentation condition in the apple.   For a few days after freezing, the apples remain edible with minimal taste changes noted.  After a week distinct alcohol notes are detected in the apples.  In a few weeks the apples turn to vinegar.  Deer will eat them in the vinegar stage which may last into January in a normal year.

This year the apples have not frozen enough yet to be destroyed by fermentation so they are aging normally as they hang, in general meaning that the flavor is improving.

I continue to recommend planting varieties Granny Smith and Sundance as trees suitable for deer hunting in New Jersey, as they begin dropping apples in October and will hold them through December in an average year.   The apples drop intermittently the entire time.  

Pictured is my Granny Smith tree that I bought at Walmart 20 years ago.  I planted it below the graft union resulting in a tree that is seedling apple sized, meaning full size, and that is what you want as a hunter.

These days even large apple tree trunks are rubbed by bucks.   Wire protection is essential for at least 15 years.

Pictures taken on December 29, 2023.

Imagepipe_10.jpg

Imagepipe_9.jpg

Agree. I hunt an orchard that has many varieties of apples. The Granny Smith's seem to be the most resistant to freezing. We have had a few 25 degree mornings and they are still in good shape. Apples are a good winter bait if temps don't go under 25 degrees for a length of time. Once frozen, they disintegrate but still give off a scent when defrosted. 

I use them all winter in the woods next to the orchard...........they are free. :up:

I couldn't find the QDMA article either.

Here of some varieties I can recommend that I have experience growing here in New Jersey:

Enterprise:  disease resistant, somewhat insect resistant.  Holds apples through November.

Liberty:  disease resistant, huntable midseason, tends to drop most of its apples in a short time frame in October, very productive tree.

Yellow Delicious:  Not disease resistant, may require fungicide application to prevent early leaf drop, preferred over most other apples by the deer, so good you can hear the deer's mouth watering in the woods while Jack Harris stirs up a pot of tag soup.

Pricilla: another disease resistant variety that came out of the PRI apple breeding program.  Suitable for midseason hunting (September through early October).  Does not hold into November.

Edited by tick trawler

I can no longer recommend the variety " Freedom".  I cut mine down because they became suseptible to some new leaf disease.  Also, Goldrush is too susceptible to cedar apple-rust to be any good for the deer hunter.

I have never grown Arkansas Black, but it appears to be a good choice for the deer hunter from everything I have read about it.

Edited by tick trawler

I use to hunt a small orchard.  

48 trees.  6 ft fence with an additional 2 feet of wire and distracting agents hung off that, the apples that fell and could not be used to eat we would place out but   After Nov 1 we would open the fence 25 feet on one side and 50 ft on the other   Hunting was great. 

well Rutgers called one spring  and asked if they could send a class up to teach the kids how to prune back the trees.   The Owner allowed.  The teacher and the students  cut them ALL to far back.    They never ever produced an apple again.   😡 

they owner was allowed some tax right off after that moving forward for the loss.    What a shame 

Anyway, the point of all this is that not much land is needed to draw in the deer. 

When baiting with corn comes to an end, we will still have the apple tree.  When economic collapse inevitably results in wildlife decline, the apple tree will still dial up a few deer.

Hunting has again become the sport of Kings, but not for long.

The land poor hunters still have the apple tree in spite of elitist organizations such as the Boone and Crockett club pushing to take it away.