IGNORED

My Turn Getting Lucky

Jcol6268

10 hours ago, Mallard1100 said:

Plenty accurate at distance once dialed in. I prefer it only for short range thick areas especially good for bad weather. I always prefer my scoped guns but they can be an issue in bad weather. Was tracking a buck last year up there and had to keep messing with the scope fogging up. My ideal sight is the one in the photo. I have it on my 45/70. I wish they made it for the 7600. You can take the scope on and off and use the peep when needed. The Talley rings are rock solid and hold zero every time when removed. 

IMG_1232.png

I carry a scoped rifle in rain and snowy conditions when tracking. I keep a Leupold scope coat on it and it’s always dry and  clear when I take it off. Sometimes I carry a peep sighted rifle but mostly for old school nostalgic reasons. It’s definitely a disadvantage in every way.

That rifle will handle those ranges and then some when you find what load it likes. I always tried keeping mine a little high at 100 yds. Ironically one of my carbines that shoots the best is one the previous owner had the barrel cut. If you don't have changing eyes you will like the peep sight. I just found it easier to use a scope since already using one here in NJ for muzzleloader/slug gun. Another option to consider is using a set of quick detach rings on scope and have a Williams ghost ring style sight on back for blowing snow or other bad weather, have one rifle setup this way.  Great score on that rifle and good luck with it this season.

Edited by Silver Belly62

Been searching for Leupold VX, or Freedom model in 3-9x40, finally for little more then I wanted  to pay I scored on two,  winning the bids on gunbroker. Both from what I can tell are in excellent condition 

Ebay had plenty but the prices are outrageous nearly double in price.

Leupold makes it but tbeu dropped the Duplex for what they call the Hunterplex

19 hours ago, Nomad said:

I carry a scoped rifle in rain and snowy conditions when tracking. I keep a Leupold scope coat on it and it’s always dry and  clear when I take it off. Sometimes I carry a peep sighted rifle but mostly for old school nostalgic reasons. It’s definitely a disadvantage in every way.

I tend to agree with you but many. Northeast tracker will not agree for short range shooting. Peep sights are very popular but I agree when you get those longer range shots you are in trouble compared to having a scoped gun for sure. Scope coat, lens covers etc I have tried it all and it seems moisture always finds its way in and starts to fog one way or another. There is always a trade off either way. 

12 hours ago, Silver Belly62 said:

That rifle will handle those ranges and then some when you find what load it likes. I always tried keeping mine a little high at 100 yds. Ironically one of my carbines that shoots the best is one the previous owner had the barrel cut. If you don't have changing eyes you will like the peep sight. I just found it easier to use a scope since already using one here in NJ for muzzleloader/slug gun. Another option to consider is using a set of quick detach rings on scope and have a Williams ghost ring style sight on back for blowing snow or other bad weather, have one rifle setup this way.  Great score on that rifle and good luck with it this season.

I have that setup on my guide gun but the skinner version. It’s so damn hard not to grab the 7600 carbine instead unfortunately. Lol

2 hours ago, Mallard1100 said:

I tend to agree with you but many. Northeast tracker will not agree for short range shooting. Peep sights are very popular but I agree when you get those longer range shots you are in trouble compared to having a scoped gun for sure. Scope coat, lens covers etc I have tried it all and it seems moisture always finds its way in and starts to fog one way or another. There is always a trade off either way. 

I spray my scope coat with waterproof spray. The secret is to never take it off until you’re ready to kill a deer. If you take it off and put it back on you’re going to get fogging.  Hence the Kleenex always in the upper left pocket lol

The northeast trackers would do better with a scope. Some of the horrendous shooting I’ve seen on there with peep sites, it’s actually funny.😄 

A lot of them appear to believe speed is more important than  1 carefully aimed shot. 

Edited by Nomad

11 hours ago, Nomad said:

I spray my scope coat with waterproof spray. The secret is to never take it off until you’re ready to kill a deer. If you take it off and put it back on you’re going to get fogging.  Hence the Kleenex always in the upper left pocket lol

The northeast trackers would do better with a scope. Some of the horrendous shooting I’ve seen on there with peep sites, it’s actually funny.😄 

A lot of them appear to believe speed is more important than  1 carefully aimed shot. 

I am going to try that this go around. Do you spray the inside and outside of the scope cover in its entirety?