IGNORED

Gmc shift to park issue.

mike033089

The recent tire post got me thinking of all the knowledge on this site. And figured I throw this out there.  Has anyone dealt with the GMC “shift the park” issue.  My wife’s 2019 Acadia sometimes doesn’t register it’s in park and you have to squeeze the shifter and wiggle it around until it says it’s in park.  I found out this has been an issue for years prior. And from what the dealer told me it’s common with no recall. All they do is change the shifter assembly out. The problem I am having with that is according to the dealer it’s the same exact part. Gmc has yet to redesign the flaw in the system. So at roughly $700 there is not guarantee it’s going to fix it for ever.  Car has 50k on it and it’s nearly paid off and out of warranty so I’m stuck.  Ain’t buying a new one (not gmc lol) with the market and rates now.   So if anyone’s gone through this what was your outcome?  

11 minutes ago, CJ3a said:

Is there an adjustment for the shift cable.  I looked on rock auto and the cable is on back order 

I’m not entirely sure that’s the issue. I saw that as well on rock auto. Dealer said nothing has been redesigned and they even said it’s ridiculous.  I saw a few guys online use a paper clip between two wires to short something out to remove the issue. Which leads me to believe it’s the computer vs actually not being in park.  The annoying thing is the vehicle won’t restart unless it’s in park so people have been stuck. We’ve always been able to make it get to park. Dealer is looking into how long the part/job will be warranted for.  I just know I’ll be livid the second it happens again even if it’s a year from now.  I don’t like the idea of just swapping a part for the same one and hoping it’s fixed for good. 

6 hours ago, nmc02 said:

Buy a Toyota...that will solve the problem. 

Mine has 220 k miles on it.

My neighbor has 2019 Silverado w 83 k miles on it, engine blew. Sorry, out of warranty. $12k to repair, as camshaft came through motor.

Get your wife a Rav4, 4runner, or Highlander.

Agree, that’s the plan next vehicle. At the time she really liked the size and way the Acadia looked and drove.  Oh well, next time. 

I read this week Toyota of Japan was shutting down production due to a computer glitch. Not sure how that will effect North America assembly of trucks and cars.  It will probably increase the purchase pricing. 

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

On 8/31/2023 at 4:25 PM, mike033089 said:

The recent tire post got me thinking of all the knowledge on this site. And figured I throw this out there.  Has anyone dealt with the GMC “shift the park” issue.  My wife’s 2019 Acadia sometimes doesn’t register it’s in park and you have to squeeze the shifter and wiggle it around until it says it’s in park.  I found out this has been an issue for years prior. And from what the dealer told me it’s common with no recall. All they do is change the shifter assembly out. The problem I am having with that is according to the dealer it’s the same exact part. Gmc has yet to redesign the flaw in the system. So at roughly $700 there is not guarantee it’s going to fix it for ever.  Car has 50k on it and it’s nearly paid off and out of warranty so I’m stuck.  Ain’t buying a new one (not gmc lol) with the market and rates now.   So if anyone’s gone through this what was your outcome?  

From what I'm reading, what the dealer told you is not accurate. There is a TSB on this problem which instructs you to replace the shifter wiring harness and add a jumper harness to correct this condition. See attached:

Intermittent Shift to Park Message Displayed While Vehicle in Park, DTC B000A Set (Automatic Transmission_Transaxle) - ALLDATA Repair.pdf

3 hours ago, Woodsman416 said:

From what I'm reading, what the dealer told you is not accurate. There is a TSB on this problem which instructs you to replace the shifter wiring harness and add a jumper harness to correct this condition. See attached:

Intermittent Shift to Park Message Displayed While Vehicle in Park, DTC B000A Set (Automatic Transmission_Transaxle) - ALLDATA Repair.pdf 5.75 MB · 5 downloads

Thanks. I’ll keep this updated as I go incase of others going through this issue.  I may still be covered under powertrain. Will be making the appointment next week. 

Powertrain doesn’t cover this issue as it’s not technically in the transmission.  That TSB mentioned above, in the dealers (different dealer I’ve called around to see how each repairs this) experience is not found to work and vehicles return back with same issue They change the whole gear shifter assembly.  Not cheap probably 700+. Only decent thing is the part is warrantied by GMC for 24 months. So I guess that gives plenty of time to see if the issue comes back. 

• 7 months later...

Figure I’d update this.  Shift to park occasionally happens but still glad I didn’t spend 1k to fix it. Now onto the next gmc problem.  On occasion the temp gauge is at zero and a message says “power assist reduced”.  Basically the thermostat or the sensor is bad (or computer thinks it’s bad) and keeps the coolant flowing and fan blowing high. As soon as you disconnect the battery the temp gauge starts functioning properly. Googled that one and came across pages of that. Oh and to change the thermostat is $1400. It’s buried within the engine. Guy at works Colorado does the same.   I will never buy another gmc ever.  Sucks because it’s pretty much paid off.