IGNORED

100% copper vs. lead core?

mazzgolf

Who has shot 100% copper bullets along with lead-core jacketed bullets? Opinions?

Aside from legal issues (I know some places require 100% copper or at least lead-free - but ignore those issues), I'm curious why someone would use one over the other. :hmmmer: Is it strictly the retention issue (loss of mass when it enters the animal)?

I haven't played with 100% copper yet in my 308. I'm looking at maybe buying these two Federals (one 100% copper, the other lead core) just to see if I can see any difference at the range - I have no idea if I should see any difference ballistics/accuracy wise (at least at 100 yards; what about 300?):

I use 100% copper bullets for almost all my hunting setups.  Most designs give you an almost perfect mushroom at a much wider range of velocities and almost always 95% plus weight retention. I would not use anything else as I’ve seen “drop in their tracks” performance basically every shot.  Being harder than lead, bullet diameter and velocity has to match more precisely than lead.  I also prefer to moly coat my rifle bullets

10 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Being harder than lead, bullet diameter and velocity has to match more precisely than lead.  I also prefer to moly coat my rifle bullets

So you are strictly hand-loading then?

I'm just using factory loads myself. I'll assume the manufacturer will have proper loads for the copper bullets they are using.

I’ve never compared one to the other in the same gun myself. I shoot lead or copper coated lead in all my rifles and handguns and solid copper in my slug gun and (I think) muzzleloader.  It’s certainly not anything I would ever worry about or consider. 

But I did enter a Buffalo hunt lottery in Montana which, if I win, requires me to use copper only and 140 gr. or larger bullet. So if I win that one chance, I’ll figure it out then. My odds are like 1:2,000,000. 

Edited by Bucksnbows

6 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Who has shot 100% copper bullets along with lead-core jacketed bullets? Opinions?

Aside from legal issues (I know some places require 100% copper or at least lead-free - but ignore those issues), I'm curious why someone would use one over the other. :hmmmer: Is it strictly the retention issue (loss of mass when it enters the animal)?

I haven't played with 100% copper yet in my 308. I'm looking at maybe buying these two Federals (one 100% copper, the other lead core) just to see if I can see any difference at the range - I have no idea if I should see any difference ballistics/accuracy wise (at least at 100 yards; what about 300?):

Can't speak from experience with solid copper, but do know a couple of guys who have used it with good success. 

The Federal Trophy bonded bullet is a very stout construction...usually used for a specific rifle and game..ie..elk and moose. IMO I would look into other options for the 308.

Accu bond,  fusion as example.