IGNORED

Remington Core Lokt Tipped .308 thoughts

mazzgolf

29 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

What isn't pricey now-a-days. I just looked, those Hornadys are the same price as the Core Lokt Tipped. I think most of the hunting 308 rounds are roughly the same price -- anywhere between something like $45 to $55.

Do some shopping after you decide on a round. Federal fusion is lower cost as are other good choices....if your rifle likes the round.

23 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Was shooting my new Tikka .308 last week. After breaking the barrel in last year, now I'm in the process of deciding what ammo I want to use to get it really zero'ed in and ready for hunting.

(I have no idea what/where I'm going to hunt with this thing, haven't thought deeply about it yet. PA? NY? Out west? No idea... but I want to get this ready for whitetail, mule deer, elk, that kind of thing. And knowing my skill set, 300 yards and under would most likely be my effective range.)

Last week I was shooting 165gr Core Lokt Tipped ammo and I was impressed. I only shot I think 6 rounds of those. But at 100 yards, my first three shots were clover leafs (wasn't zero'ed, but a 3-shot group was on top of each other - so close, in fact, I had to go green flag and walk to the target to find out where my shots were going - from the bench with the scope I couldn't really tell the holes were on top of each other).

What are people's opinions of .308 Core Lokt Tipped, and what grains would you concentrate on practicing with/using?

I also have a box each of Winchester 150gr Power Points (already shot those up, I'm "meh" on them), Federal Fusion 165gr, Fiocchi Field Dynamics 165gr, and another Core Lokt Tipped in 180gr. I wanted a few different brands to try - but once I started shooting those 165gr Core Lokts on top of each other, I figured I might want to just stop right there and concentrate on Core Lokt. I haven't shot the 180gr yet to see if I get the same accuracy nor am I sure why I would want to shoot 180 over 165 in the field (I assume the 180gr are better for larger game like moose??? which is probably something I'll never hunt for anyway).

I wouldn't over think it.  Stick with the most accurate one. Any .308 round put in the right spot will drop any deer in North America whether it's a 150, 165, or 180gr bullet.  As far as shot distance that's up the shooter...not the gun or the ammo. 

I killed a 450lb cow elk with a 7mm-08 shooting a 150gr bullet @ 180 yards. 

On 6/7/2023 at 7:09 PM, Stealthy_Bowman said:

I have a Tikka T3X superlite in .308. Been shooting it for 5 years. Tried all kinds of ammo and the best for me are 150gr Nosler Accubonds. Have killed mule deer and elk with it no problem. 

I was just trying to decide which Tikka .308 to purchase.  I am new to hunting, and I am looking to hunt whitetail and eventually elk.  Thank you for sharing what ammo works for you!

1 hour ago, whoopsie daisy said:

I was just trying to decide which Tikka .308 to purchase.  I am new to hunting, and I am looking to hunt whitetail and eventually elk.  Thank you for sharing what ammo works for you!

I did some research on .308 rifles a year ago. In case you want to hear about what I got and my thoughts on the Tikka and the scope I put on top, you can read these (just keep in mind, I was limited in what I could consider since I'm left-handed and wanted a left-handed bolt action; many models don't come left-handed):