IGNORED

Chicks

Codaboy

21 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

Excellent choice of hatchery.  Should have my first round of meatbirds in 2 weeks. 

I have used them in the past with strong health chicks. Only had one dead in box. Looked crushed. It was cold in the post office when I picked up this morning 

32 minutes ago, Codaboy said:

I have used them in the past with strong health chicks. Only had one dead in box. Looked crushed. It was cold in the post office when I picked up this morning 

I never had any issues with them. Hoover hatchery I lost 40+ At one time. It was cold so maybe they shipped through a bad area.  Once you hit day three with shipping it get iffy. Hatcheries are busy now since Covid and people wanting to be a bit more self sufficient.  

16 minutes ago, Mixbaghunter said:

Nice the more birds you can get him on the better

True but there are much better birds available to train with them pheasant  I would not use them for any drill without launchers. First birds my dogs get are baby quail. What I do is take the puppy in a grass field dump the quail out and let him have his way with them pounce them kill them eat them whatever he wants for about ten minutes that will build pray drive and I do this at about  8-10 weeks old after that I won’t let him touch another bird every bird goes in a launcher and they will be pigeons for several reasons. I would never think of putting a pheasant  till the dog is steady or basically finished again for many reasons. Good luck and have fun with you new pal

Edited by smittty

Yea I do the young quail thing at 8-10 weeks old like I said I let the pup have it’s way with them they can’t really fly they just hop around the frogs great for building pray drive after that it’s all pigeons they scent well flush well and when flushed or popped from launcher they keep going and are back home waiting to do it again the next day. Remember your training a pointing dog you start putting running birds on the ground with a young unfinished dog your GoPro have problems and make more work for yourself or like a lot of first time trainers hire some to fix them for you.