IGNORED

Burris Oracle X crossbow

smittty

From my understanding it's great,  I do believe once you get the sight on target it will tell you the yardage on the screen display....it's expensive,  not sure if it can be used as a conventional scope if there is error/problem with it....

From my understanding the 25 yard cross hairs will never change. And as far as the ranging you have to put the crosshairs on the target then push the fire button at that time your range will be set and your red dot will appear in the scope. That’s the part I’m not sure of I’m thinking speed of target equation compared to hawke pro scope or something similar 

My main concern with these scopes is mis-reads on the range finding. Just like a handheld rangefinder, you can get an incorrect range reading if you laser a twig. If you are hunting strictly open areas and shooting long distances (over 40 yds), it can be very useful. You have to think about your particular needs. I wouldn't say it's an asset for everyone. The new super-fast bows can shoot almost point blank from 0 to 45 yds when sighted in at 35 yds. I see no need for a high-priced laser scope on these bows if shooting under 45 yds. It would actually be more useful on the slower bow with a rainbow trajectory. 

I'm not advocating shooting an arrow over 60 yds, but some people do it. 

The range finding scope will eliminate the movement needed to range with a handheld, then shoot. 

Another potential issue is batteries. If they go dead, the scope is unusable. 

Finally, they are heavy and ugly. 

Edited by archer36

I have both the Garmin Xero and the Burris Oracle.

I give the edge to the Burris because it has a zoom feature, and it also has a 20 yard reticle that works even if the battery dies on the scope.

The Garmin does have better battery life.  Make sure you keep your batteries fresh during the season

Edited by splitrockoutdoors

I don' have this scope but one I am using is very similar. I have Garmin Xero.

Few comments related to your questions and statement made by others.

You press a button, not your trigger, and the scope locks onto the target. (the button can be placed anywhere on your bow, I have it next to the trigger so its very easy to just move you finger from the button to trigger).  When this happens, and it only takes 1 or two seconds, you get a dot to put on your target for the distance the target is at.  It is many times faster, convenient and stress free than hand-held range finder and then grabbing your bow and aiming. You are already on target and you can execute the shot in a couple of seconds. 

I know Burris gives you 25 yard pin which is there even if your batteries die.

The comment on possibility of the scope miss-reading the distance is silly. This can happen with hand-held, or what are your other options?:-)

As I stated above if the batteries go you still have the 25 yard pin. 

I shoot 400 FPS bow. I wonder what you guys are shooting that you can use one pin to 45 or 50 yards? With 20 yard pin I am a clear miss at 50 yards

I have two seasons with this scope and I can't imagine hunting without it. It makes you a better, quicker hunter with much less movement. It takes seconds without any movement to range the target and release the arrow and if the deer moves on you, your bow is still shouldered and you get an instant adjustment to the new distance.  Th set up is very easy. 

I hope this helps

29 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I shoot 400 FPS bow. I wonder what you guys are shooting that you can use one pin to 45 or 50 yards? With 20 yard pin I am a clear miss at 50 yards

I'm thinking if you had one pin at 35 yards then you would be a little low at 50 and a little high at 20.

Edited by Nomad

59 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I don' have this scope but one I am using is very similar. I have Garmin Xero.

Few comments related to your questions and statement made by others.

You press a button, not your trigger, and the scope locks onto the target. (the button can be placed anywhere on your bow, I have it next to the trigger so its very easy to just move you finger from the button to trigger).  When this happens, and it only takes 1 or two seconds, you get a dot to put on your target for the distance the target is at.  It is many times faster, convenient and stress free than hand-held range finder and then grabbing your bow and aiming. You are already on target and you can execute the shot in a couple of seconds. 

I know Burris gives you 25 yard pin which is there even if your batteries die.

The comment on possibility of the scope miss-reading the distance is silly. This can happen with hand-held, or what are your other options?:-)

As I stated above if the batteries go you still have the 25 yard pin. 

I have two seasons with this scope and I can't imagine hunting without it. It makes you a better, quicker hunter with much less movement. It takes seconds without any movement to range the target and release the arrow and if the deer moves on you, your bow is still shouldered and you get an instant adjustment to the new distance.  Th set up is very easy. 

I hope this helps

You are right about the handheld misreads. But if there is brush/ branches , and you can't trust an expensive scope, what good is it?

I'm not knocking anyone who sees the benefits of it. I'm responding to the thread which asks for opinions. 

I said in my post it has very good  uses but not 100 percent foolproof. 

Nothing is. 

6 minutes ago, splitrockoutdoors said:

Another thing to remember is that Both the Burris and Garmin give you a single illuminated aiming point based on the range, I am guilty of picking the wrong cross hair on a standard crossbow scope which has multiple aiming points and missing a deer.

Exactly. No matter how good the equipment, human error is always a factor. 

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

Whats a little and would you do it or would you range it and use the appropriate pin? 

I think only a few inches either way.  Maximum point blank range may be right around 45 or 50 yards with a 35 yards zero, which means you could hold dead on from zero to 50 yards and still kill a deer by holding dead on, only hitting a few inches high at short range and a few low at long range.  So, you could just hold slightly low on short shot and a little high on long shots if you wanted.  Just a way to do it if you don't want to use a rangefinder.  When I hunt with a crossbow I usually use a rangefinder, but after discussing this I am going to see how mine hits from 10-50 using the 30 yard "pin".

I don’t think I ever had to use my rangefinder on a deer while bow hunting I always range the area before hand and everything is in my head. But with theses new rangefinding scopes I wouldn’t have to rang the area first. But the reason I’m thinking about using one is I like the idea of the sink dot. I just go a new xbow and it came with a tenpoint range master that I don’t like to much clutter for my old eyes previously I used a hawke xb30 that wasn’t to bad but the speed dial only goes to 360.  And my son is using a hawke Xb compact which I think is ok but again I’m liking the idea of the single dot

Edited by smittty