IGNORED

what time does parking for Mt Tammany fill up?

njdoxie

I want to hike this tomorrow, I'm going red trail up, blue trail down......anyway, what time does the parking lot fill up?

I have a 14 yo daughter going, I don't want to get her up any earlier than necessary :-)

We hiked some pretty steep stuff in the Grand Canyon last year with zero issues, so she should be able to handle this fine.

Thanks

Rocks grew a lot between the first time I went up there to the last time. 

Head out to lehigh gorge at jim thorpe pa and hike up the glen onoko run trail along the falls.  There's also a railtrail to ride bikes on through the gorge and a train ride out of the town if that's still operating.  Good restaurant and pub if you turn up the side road where 209 goes under 476

On a side note, for anybody contemplating a real elk hunt (i.e. not on a flat cattle ranch or other mostly flat terrain), that is, in terrain where 99% of elk hunts take place, hiking the red trail up and blue trail down is a very close approximation to what you'll face on a daily basis.  If you can do 2-3 loops with a 30 lb backpack, back to back, for 2-3 days in a row, then you're as well set as you can be for hunting out west.  None of this applies if you're hunting a cushy lodge hunt, getting driven around on a 4 wheeler, or hunting a flat cattle ranch, with someone getting your elk out while u watch, nothing wrong with that, just don't have to be in shape for that.

Edited by njdoxie

47 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

On a side note, for anybody contemplating a real elk hunt (i.e. not on a flat cattle ranch or other mostly flat terrain), that is, in terrain where 99% of elk hunts take place, hiking the red trail up and blue trail down is a very close approximation to what you'll face on a daily basis.  If you can do 2-3 loops with a 30 lb backpack, back to back, for 2-3 days in a row, then you're as well set as you can be for hunting out west.  

Tammany is a nice hike, hope you had a good time.

It's a good start for elk out west but it's not going to prepare you for the elevation difference. Do what you said while wearing N95 mask, that's more like it. I never got altitude sickness, but I was short on breath the first day or two. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

1 hour ago, njdoxie said:

On a side note, for anybody contemplating a real elk hunt (i.e. not on a flat cattle ranch or other mostly flat terrain), that is, in terrain where 99% of elk hunts take place, hiking the red trail up and blue trail down is a very close approximation to what you'll face on a daily basis.  If you can do 2-3 loops with a 30 lb backpack, back to back, for 2-3 days in a row, then you're as well set as you can be for hunting out west.  None of this applies if you're hunting a cushy lodge hunt, getting driven around on a 4 wheeler, or hunting a flat cattle ranch, with someone getting your elk out while u watch, nothing wrong with that, just don't have to be in shape for that.

Tell us how you really feel?

12 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Rocks grew a lot between the first time I went up there to the last time. 

Head out to lehigh gorge at jim thorpe pa and hike up the glen onoko run trail along the falls.  There's also a railtrail to ride bikes on through the gorge and a train ride out of the town if that's still operating.  Good restaurant and pub if you turn up the side road where 209 goes under 476

The Glen Onoko trail has been closed for several years.  Too many deaths and accidents. Although it was closed I believe last year a group went up and some lady died.  Kids use to jump from the bridge as well.  That was always a disaster.  They put up a high fence now.  The Rails to Trails path is excellent.  Just rode 56 miles on it yesterday.  Great place to hunt or look for rattlesnakes. The train is still up and running. Lots of good places to eat if you do not mind paying tourist prices....ha!  I live a few short miles from Jim Thorpe.   

12 hours ago, Sako76 said:

Tell us how you really feel?

To be clear, I have nothing against easy elk hunts, I would book one myself if I could afford it.  I shouldn't have used the phrase "real elk hunt", poor choice of words.  What I meant to say was the "kind of elk hunts that 99% of folks go on, the difficult kind, that require excellent conditioning to be regularly successful".

3 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

The Glen Onoko trail has been closed for several years.  Too many deaths and accidents. Although it was closed I believe last year a group went up and some lady died.  Kids use to jump from the bridge as well.  That was always a disaster.  They put up a high fence now.  The Rails to Trails path is excellent.  Just rode 56 miles on it yesterday.  Great place to hunt or look for rattlesnakes. The train is still up and running. Lots of good places to eat if you do not mind paying tourist prices....ha!  I live a few short miles from Jim Thorpe.   

That suks.  Last time I was up there was in 2017