IGNORED

Auto mechanics advice on a quality nut splitter

madeinuk

I am trying to get an old Woods RM59 finish mower working again and because this was not maintained many nuts and bolts are basically fused together with rust.

I bought a nut splitter but its quality is not great:

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/nut-splitting-tool

Do any pro or hardcore amateur mechanics know of a brand that is well made, cuts at 90 degrees and has a hardened bit?  If so please do share…

Edited by madeinuk

1 hour ago, Kype said:

are the nuts still square or rounded over?

Somewhat pitted and corroded in places on the ones that I need to split.  I have tried kroil, CNC Freeze off and a blowtorch but cannot use a wrench with a cheater bar because of they are no longer have a regular hexagonal cross section.

1 hour ago, Woodsman416 said:

Heat it with an oxy/acetylene torch and use a turbo socket (pictured in center) with an impact gun on a low torque setting.

20220725_160611.jpg

If you don't need to save the bolts, no need to heat, hammer on use a breaker bar the bolts will break.

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, madeinuk said:

Somewhat pitted and corroded in places on the ones that I need to split.  I have tried kroil, CNC Freeze off and a blowtorch but cannot use a wrench with a cheater bar because of they are no longer have a regular hexagonal cross section.

if you can wait a week. ill bring over my OD easy outs and a nut splitter from work. i have easy outs similar to what woodsman posted. they work great for rouned over nuts because they bite into the nut. let me know.

The issue that I have is that the belt tensioner is basically a long threaded rod fastened with rusted nuts that have been corroded.  Because of the length of the rod I cannot use turbo sockets. 

I have bought a manual on Ebay for this model (still on its way) because I will probably just cut the fncking rod and replace it in the end - I suspect that the whole thing is already 'jury rigged' but want to see what it should look like (and what part numbers are needed to replace it) before I do something as drastic as getting the Diablo blade out for the Sawzall.   

From my experience so far I can see that a nut splitter is a really useful tool under the right circumstances and buying and using a really shitty one from Autozone which will not hold the bit at 90 degrees has pissed me off into wanting to buy a good one.  I may never use it but I will at least know that I will have one that I can rely on in the future.