IGNORED

Shoot or don’t Shoot? (Rusty what you got)

Live to Hunt

From Outdoorempire

4. Neck Shots: A Risky Proposition from Any Angle 

image.png.fafe7bae2b48917c302d79d9d86240b5.png

If you have not caught on, the shots are getting riskier as we go on. With a rifle, a neck shot is actually the choice of some hunters and a total no-go for others.  

When done right, the shot destroys a portion of the deer’s spine, rendering it dead in seconds. With a high-powered rifle, this does not always mean you have to hit the deer directly in the vertebrae.

Generally, the impact of the bullet creates enough concussion to do the job if you hit solid muscle within a couple inches of the spine. 

If you do not miss entirely, and only catch the windpipe or the edge of the neck, this can turn into an ugly miss. Sometimes, the shot is not fatal, but the deer loses the ability to raise its head.  

Because no vitals have been damaged, the deer goes stumbling off with its head stuck hanging low, without any injury that is going to cause death quickly.

This could create a difficult tracking scenario where recovery is anything but guaranteed. 

Just like the facing shot, the neck shot is one that divides archers. While some are confident that they can either punch the spine or sever major arteries, others feel the shot is too low percentage to try.

You definitely do not have the advantage of the concussion you get from a high-powered rifle, so you need to be certain you can hit a very small target before attempting this shot. 

From Top Gun; [Goose] I don't think so Mav! [Maverick] I'm going to take the shot.

My "Handle" is not my aim, I'm paralyzed as a C 4-5 quadriplegic.

I never tried a neck shot with archery equipment. The neck moves around too much. I've done it with success with a slug gun at close range. I aim lower though. The bottom part of the neck does not move as much. Also, with a gun, you have follow up shots should you need it. Not so with archery. 

This is for meat animals, not something you want to mount obviously. 

Also, head shots with Rifles, even at some long distances is common on meat hunts around the world. It's not even considered in the U.S.

Edited by archer36

On 8/24/2021 at 4:10 PM, Rusty said:

I would NOT shoot,  but only because I don’t hunt much myself anymore.   :D

But I do set up lots of spots for other people to kill deer each year.  They WOULD shoot,   right through that silly vest.  They don’t shoot Rage.    :D

Would that be near a golf course? 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".