IGNORED

my search for new inertia waterfowl gun continues - narrowed it down to Franchi

mazzgolf

Well, I finally got my hands on a Benelli SBE3 yesterday at a mom-n-pop shop that had a couple on the shelves. I was really looking forward to buying one - it shouldered nicely, but I just did not like the controls on it - the safety and bolt release both were not as smooth to operate as I was expecting an $1,800 gun to feel like. So, that's crossed off my list.

I had the Retay on my list because it seems like a nice gun, but it looks like they don't have a reversible safety for us left-handers. Still waiting on confirmation of that from the Retay folks themselves - but I'm pretty sure they don't have a reversible safety on the Masai Mara, so that's crossed off the list.

I was able to pick up a Franchi Affinity yesterday, and liked it -- felt like the controls were better than the SBE3 also (which was weird because its safety is smaller than SBE3's - but to me it just operated smoother). So I think that's the one. I'm looking to get it chambered in 3" - decided against the 3.5 because with it being an inertia gun, I don't think I'll ever shoot 3.5" shells with it even if it is chambered for it.

Who has experience with the Franchi Affinity, and if so do you have any opinions/thoughts? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I’m a lefty also is Franchi  safety reversible?  and did you look at new Browning A5 that is an inertia gun and safety is reversible,  just curious if you handled a Browning,  but I have friend who has Affinity and he really likes his and most reviews I’ve read are positive for the Affinity

2 hours ago, Bigmac said:

I’m a lefty also is Franchi  safety reversible?  and did you look at new Browning A5 that is an inertia gun and safety is reversible,  just curious if you handled a Browning,  but I have friend who has Affinity and he really likes his and most reviews I’ve read are positive for the Affinity

I actually sent an email into Franchi to confirm (no answer yet), but I'm almost sure (not positive) it is reversible (all the Beretta and Benelli safeties that I know of are reversible, so I don't see any reason why the Franchi's wouldn't be). Strange thing is I can't find any YouTube videos of people showing you how to do it (like I could with the SBE and other guns) - so that's why I am questioning it. Hopefully, I will hear back from Franchi this week to confirm. I won't order the gun until I'm 100% sure it is reversible - that's a non-negotiable for me. Gotta have a left-handed safety.

I actually did briefly consider the A5. But I'm a snob and I think the humpback is ugly :). I also remember finding some reviews that were less-than-favorable (and, like you, most of the reviews I see of the Affinity are very positive). So I kinda dismissed it, even though I haven't actually handled one (I admit I might not be giving it adequate attention). Prices of the A5 are on the high end (in the range of an SBE3) -- I really don't want to spend that much on a gun that I "maybe might like" and that I think is ugly :D I prefer to be 100% all-in on a gun if I'm going to spend that money. If Franchi can't reverse its safety, I'll go back and revisit it and go to a shop and see if I can handle one. The Retay I'm almost positive doesn't have a reversible safety - otherwise, that would probably be on my list to consider, too. Not many inertia guns in my price range (somewhere between $1k to $2k)

32 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I actually sent an email into Franchi to confirm (no answer yet), but I'm almost sure (not positive) it is reversible (all the Beretta and Benelli safeties that I know of are reversible, so I don't see any reason why the Franchi's wouldn't be). Strange thing is I can't find any YouTube videos of people showing you how to do it (like I could with the SBE and other guns) - so that's why I am questioning it. Hopefully, I will hear back from Franchi this week to confirm. I won't order the gun until I'm 100% sure it is reversible - that's a non-negotiable for me. Gotta have a left-handed safety.

I actually did briefly consider the A5. But I'm a snob and I think the humpback is ugly :). I also remember finding some reviews that were less-than-favorable (and, like you, most of the reviews I see of the Affinity are very positive). So I kinda dismissed it, even though I haven't actually handled one (I admit I might not be giving it adequate attention). Prices of the A5 are on the high end (in the range of an SBE3) -- I really don't want to spend that much on a gun that I "maybe might like" and that I think is ugly :D I prefer to be 100% all-in on a gun if I'm going to spend that money. If Franchi can't reverse its safety, I'll go back and revisit it and go to a shop and see if I can handle one. The Retay I'm almost positive doesn't have a reversible safety - otherwise, that would probably be on my list to consider, too. Not many inertia guns in my price range (somewhere between $1k to $2k)

Ok let me know what Franchi tells you I’m interested in their 20 gauge for small game hunting,  you can always look for a left handed model I know Benelli make left handed, maybe Franchi does also

19 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Well, I finally got my hands on a Benelli SBE3 yesterday at a mom-n-pop shop that had a couple on the shelves. I was really looking forward to buying one - it shouldered nicely, but I just did not like the controls on it - the safety and bolt release both were not as smooth to operate as I was expecting an $1,800 gun to feel like. So, that's crossed off my list.

I had the Retay on my list because it seems like a nice gun, but it looks like they don't have a reversible safety for us left-handers. Still waiting on confirmation of that from the Retay folks themselves - but I'm pretty sure they don't have a reversible safety on the Masai Mara, so that's crossed off the list.

I was able to pick up a Franchi Affinity yesterday, and liked it -- felt like the controls were better than the SBE3 also (which was weird because its safety is smaller than SBE3's - but to me it just operated smoother). So I think that's the one. I'm looking to get it chambered in 3" - decided against the 3.5 because with it being an inertia gun, I don't think I'll ever shoot 3.5" shells with it even if it is chambered for it.

Who has experience with the Franchi Affinity, and if so do you have any opinions/thoughts? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I have the affinity 3.5 it’s an awesome gun.  Controls are easy and nice for big gloves in cold weather.  I like it cause I can use the gun for so much game from turkey to waterfowl to deer.  It’s affordable for a great quality gun too!  I would recomend!

Just got the emails back so I'm 100% sure now (got the answers from the manufacturers).

Retay - safety NOT reversible (answer was "Our safeties are not yet reversible, something we are looking into.")

Franchi Affinity - safety IS reversible. ( <<--- @Bigmac)

(oh, and I asked if it's the same for Affinity 3 vs 3.5 and how do you reverse it and was told "The safety is the same for the Affinities.   The process for changing should be the same as the Benelli.") ... a few YT videos out there on how to change the SBE3 safety - that should be similar.

Edited by mazzgolf