IGNORED

Travelling with a pistol question

Tuck

Planning a road trip to Missouri for spoonbill in April and was wondering what the legalities are of bringing along a few pistols to shoot while there.  Is it legal to drive from NJ to Missouri with them in their cases in the trunk of the car?  My interpretation is as long as they are unloaded and locked in trunk, ammo must be in a separate container in trunk.  True?

Thanks for any info.

Federal firearms Transportation Act

This act allows a person to transport a firearm through states in which he or she does not hold a valid permit, as long as he or she may lawfully carry (whether by permit, constitutional carry, etc.) in the state of origin as well as the destination.

As you pointed out, locked, unloaded, separate from ammo in trunk 

Edited by nmc02

every state is different. best bet is to keep the firearm locked in a case in your trunk. and the ammo locked else where. if i remember correctly some states will allow you to travel through their state with a firearm but your not allowed to stop. for example stopping for a break or dinner but this may be for CCW. i cant remember. its been a while since i looked around for all the correct laws.