IGNORED

Introduce Youth to Muzzy

I bought my young teenage girls the TC Impact last year and because of the state range shutdown I didn't have the usual opportunities to get them to the range, especially my youngest.  I have it shooting Hornady SST 250 grain bullets and a couple of 777 Pyrodex pellets.  Not everyone's choice but that combo worked well out of my TC Omegas. 

It shot decent for my oldest but I want to introduce my youngest daughter to it now that I have more time and with the ranges opening up.  She is new to deer hunting calibers and has only done small game with the her 20 gauge.  Any powder and bullet recommendations to start her out on?  Don't care so much to sight in but just want her to begin to "feel" it and work up.  Can I stick with the bullets I have and just start with 50 grains of powder (Personally took one shot with 50 grains of 777 and same bullet and the bullet seemed to impact the paper sideways based on the hole it left and was clearly way off as expected). 

Appreciate any constructive input.  We have a lot of time before the season so I want to take advantage.  BTW, I never used loose poweder so any equipment recommendation would be appreciated if you do think loose powder charges at various levels to get the kid to a killable load would be appreciated.

41 minutes ago, BHC said:

The recoil with your current set up is either less or as equal as the 20 ga

yes you can shoot one pellet with the same sabot

I’ve told her as much and have always believed that myself. Using the 50 grains the bullet was sideways on the paper but just to get her over the stigma of shooting it I could go that route. 

Instead of getting a canister of powder and a measuring tube, try scoring around the middle of a pellet with a razor blade until you cut through.  Use the half that faces down the barrel .  Should be close to 75gr so she can get a feel for the kick, which is less with my triumph than any other gun I shoot, and see how the bullet floats

What others have said.   

If you get loose pyrodex start with 70gr. It's plenty for deer.  I've punched thru deer using 70-75 gr behind a 275 grain maxi Hunter bullet.  Granted it was in a traditional muzzy with a slower twist.  Start at 25 yards. 

1 hour ago, buckfever1974 said:

I’ve told her as much and have always believed that myself. Using the 50 grains the bullet was sideways on the paper but just to get her over the stigma of shooting it I could go that route. 

Just load it for her with 100 grains and tell her it’s 50. Muzzy recoil is less than deer, turkey, or waterfowl loads from a shotgun. 

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Instead of getting a canister of powder and a measuring tube, try scoring around the middle of a pellet with a razor blade until you cut through.  Use the half that faces down the barrel .  Should be close to 75gr so she can get a feel for the kick, which is less with my triumph than any other gun I shoot, and see how the bullet floats

This is a great idea just to get her to try it.