IGNORED

Another Good Ridge Day

Thanks guys, good to know.. Snakes in general just make me a little uneasy... The black racer was making a rattle noise with the tail. I was not sure if it came from the snake itself or from rustling in the dry brush

The easiest way to know if a snake in NJ is venomous or not is to look at the head.  Both rattle snakes and copperheads are pit vipers and have triangular heads.  Most other local snakes have more of an oval shape.  That's a bit of an over-simplification, but it will get you by in a pinch.  The rattles on an Eastern are another give away.

Here's a great site for IDing rattlers with their various color phases:  https://www.google.com/search?q=eastern+rattlesnake+identification&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS502US561&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YACWU-KuDIrgsASX0ILYCw&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

And for Northern copperheads:  https://www.google.com/search?q=northern+copperhead+snake&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS502US561&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rQCWU8rRO9TKsQTf2IHADA&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643  

Thanks guys, good to know.. Snakes in general just make me a little uneasy... The black racer was making a rattle noise with the tail. I was not sure if it came from the snake itself or from rustling in the dry brush

Black racers do rustle leaves with their tails and it will sound like a rattler. Normally they'll just run away, but if you corner one and mess with it, expect a good fight.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

The large black snakes could either be northern black racers or black rat snakes.  Chances are, if they didn't bolt when you approached them, they were rat snakes.  Unless its very cold out, racers will either bolt or mock charge you.  Easy way to tell is look at their belly - racers have black/bluish belly's while rats are white with black blotches.  Or, racer scales are smooth while rats scales are keeled (small ridge in the center of each scale).  But, if you can get close enough to see each individual scale, its prolly a rat snake.

The black ones let me walk up pretty close to them. One bolted and the other just stood there watching me. I backed away and walked behind it and then it turned to square off with me.. I grabbed a couple pics and gave it space and  left the area. They appeared to be pretty thick and long ( keep it clean gents ...lol ).  They are definitely cool looking  though..

I checked out those links above too.  The colors and patterns of these snakes are awesome, but they can definitely do some damage if one gets bitten.. I was looking at some snake bite victims from the Rattlers and Copperhead...  The venom from these two snakes destroys tissue pretty bad..