IGNORED

PARKING LOT PRACTICE.-- "Light" Thread".

Fred Flintstone

The following is funny and, I have seen and or heard it over 30 Spring Seasons. Usually on the opening day and the 1st weekend in NY. So, I usually park around 4.00am and have some Coffee before walking on in. I usually walk in about 1 mile. The old tried and true to get away from at least 50% of the Crowd.                                               Soon though, I see Headlights and signal Blinkers as another Truck slows and turns into the large parking area at Stewart State Forest. By 4.15am - 3 more cars have arrived.  It is funny to watch the preparation. Some guys running around the truck to get gear out before the next guy. Of course, I have all my stuff already out and ready to go.   THEN, I HEAR IT! Someone is working a Box Call in the Darkness of the parking Lot. As always before in previous years-- it sounds Horrible. The Candace is way off and half the Yelps sound Different from the others. Another guy tries a Mouth call and there is a " half Kee" like note in the middle of the Yelps . No Gobbler is coming to that!                       No expert caller here, but at least , I practice a few days a week year round as, I also have 30 Fall Seasons.     TIME TO GET IN!!   At least most of these guys won't walk too far in.  If you think Stewart is crowded in the Pheasant Season-- try May--lol!                                                                     Now as this is designed to be a Funny Thread-- let's talk about " Flashlight Tag" on Opening morning. I have Funny Stories in both NY + NJ. I remember a good 15 years ago at Waywayanda State Park, I was walking in first as, I always try to do and soon a Flashlight appeared 50 yards back in the Darkness. After near a mile- that Bobbing Flashlight was the same distance from me.  I thought for sure that guy would turn off at a few Trails, I passed. Now it is getting Lighter in the East and, I turn my Flashlight off. The Flashlight behind me stops!  Soon a older guy in his 70s appears and sees me.  He told me he figured, I knew where the Birds were..  Funny now-- but not then as, I did have a good idea where the Turkeys were.                       Now over at Stewart a good 10 years ago, I was set-- up near where Gobblers always Roosted. I did see a Flashlight a good 150 yards back as, I walked in. Imagine my Surprise as that Flashlight started to get closer to the Scrub Field, I was already set up in.  Those Gobblers would soon be Spooked off their Roosts.  I turned my Flashlight on + off quick a few times to let him know that, I am set up here. The Flashlight stopped for 5 seconds or so as that Spring Hunter reflected. Then the Flashlight moved quick as the Hunter Trotted away to another Field.                                                       Now another Funny thing, I see from time to time is the Sleeping Spring Hunter in his truck. He made it in by 4.15am and parked and is soon asleep! Soon, I hear snoring before, I head in.  I try to make some noise before going in with my gear. A few years back in Sterling Forest at around 7am or so, I was already leaving with a Tom and driving on Bramertown Road and slowly drove past a parked Truck . Inside was a Sleeping Spring Turkey Hunter. Mouth open and catching Flies. I would like to think he got a Bird as well-but, I think he fell asleep where he parked.                                                                 Yup, I Love the Public Lands. You take the Good with the bad and keep moving forward. Hope Y'all enjoyed this Funny Thread.:up:

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Couple years ago, I went to a spot that I know a lot of people go to - not hunters, just a lot of dog walkers, and dirt bikers, etc. BUT! On this day, the forecast was for rain! So I knew there would be no one out there.

I just took a doghouse pop-up blind with me and quickly set up pre-dawn in the rain and had the woods to myself.

It was glorious.

UNTIL!

It stopped raining. I swear no sooner did it stop raining that I heard it - the rumbling of the ATV ripping through the woods. Well, of course, it comes ripping my way. I then see it - bright blue ATV with two riders on it - man and his kid (State Forest, mind you - illegal to ride ATVs here) - and it stops about 40 yards away from my turkey decoys and the kid shouts as loud as he could above the engine noise, "Hey, Dad!!!!! Is that a TURKEY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?".

End of hunt.

I have had the opposite experience. Once in TZ2 I had a tom gobbling near where I parked. Tried to circle around to get in a good calling position and was successful. Had him coming in but there was a dirt road between us. Then a truck drove up the road. That was the end of it.

4 hours ago, Batsto said:

Funny story with truck sleeper. I actually feel asleep in my canoe  Wood Duck hunting years ago on the upper Mullica River. What was even funnier was my 11 yr of dog also fell asleep. What woke us up was a pair of kayakers talking about my deeks at 10:00 am. 

A couple years ago I was putting the birds to bed with my dog. I sat against a tree and fell asleep. When I woke up it was pitch black out, look at my phone and time was 9:47. I look over at my dog and there she is fast asleep, on her back with her legs in the air.