IGNORED

Wet feet

jhrebs

So I’ve been battling this for years. Reading. Researching.

I have thin wool socks on now. Rubber boots with leather upper. Completely water proof. With 200g thinsulate removable liners.

I walked 300 yards to my tree. Not through any water. Just wet grass. Use my

Climber.

After sitting for 15 minutes my feet are cold. Take my boots off. Because now I bring extra socks and boot liners. Socks are damp. Liners are wet. The inside of the runner of my boot is wet. Almost like condensation. I am sure it is also sweat.

I’ve tried everything. Thick wool socks. Thin wool socks. Silk liners. Poly liners. Spray anti-persipirant, Feet warmers. And on and on.

I need help. I’ll try anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suffer from similar issues, I sweat walking out to my stand which in some cases is a 2 mile hike. Once in the stand and not moving I get a chill and that can stay with me for hours which makes for a very cold uncomfortable sit, even when it is 40-50s. I'm actually better off in the really cold weather because I don't sweat as much when I walk out.

I've never used rubber boots nor would I simply because I can't figure out how they would breathe? That is, how would the sweat and moisture escape from a rubber boot vs something with mesh? For really cold weather I use Lacrosse Hunt Pac Extreme 2000gram boots they are very warm boots but also like walking in moon boots. I'm actually shopping for a boot in the 1000gram range that will bridge the gap between my Asolo hiking boots and my Pac boots.

Changing out your socks is the right move. Another trick you can try is bringing something to wrap around your boots. I have an IWOM and it encloses my whole body which makes a huge difference but I know they make things just for your boots. Also, make sure your boots have space in them. Your boots shouldn't be loose but your feet shouldn't be stuffed into the boot. 

I've used Thermacell foot warmers which helped but they have stopped working, I will be buying another set or something similar.

The bottom line is if your feet or boots are really wet you are going to get a chill sitting in the stand so seek to minimize the moisture.

Edited by newjerseyhunter

Foot warmers are king! I’ve noticed over the years that if I put on cold boots condensation builds very quickly and my feet are damp and cold right away, not necessarily from sweat. Hot foot+ cold boot= condensation. So I keep my boots inside before I leave and by my feet in the truck on the way so heater blows on them. Too much insulation is no good either. I used to wear 2000g pac and my feet still got cold so I went down to 1000g and my feet stay a little warmer till later in winter then I switch over to the 2000g. 

If your feet sweat alot you must also be sure to have a dry boot on the inside to start. If you hunt two days in a row the boots may not be dry on the inside from previous day's hunt. If I'm hunting multiple days in a row I always put my boots on the boot dryer at the end of the day. I also use Toe Heaters and Boot Blankets if need be

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 hour ago, Bucndoe said:

If your feet sweat alot you must also be sure to have a dry boot on the inside to start. If you hunt two days in a row the boots may not be dry on the inside from previous day's hunt. If I'm hunting multiple days in a row I always put my boots on the boot dryer at the end of the day. I also use Toe Heaters and Boot Blankets if need be

I agree starting with a completely dry boot is key. Every hunter needs a boot dryer.