IGNORED

Question for trappers

So after skinning, let say fox, you stretch the skin inside out, to dry it. I assume fleshing should be done ASAP, before the skin dries.
When is it safe to flip the skin fur side up? Do you wash the skin and when? No salting is required if dried?
I am just trying to understand the steps in pelt preservation for tanning.

I would always clean first in the round and let them dry in a cool place. For fox,  skin them out and flesh them but fox most of the time won't have heavy fat like a coon, etc. If I'm going to stretch them then I will put them on the stretcher only for a day or so before turning them out, don't let them dry all the way out or you will have problems when turning them and have more of a chance for rips, holes, etc. Even after I turn them I use wedges on the inside to allow air to circulate to finish drying inside and have even used crumbled up newspaper to help with that also.  If I'm going to save a bunch to dry at a later time I will will roll them up nose first, hair side out, and put in the freezer

Edited by Silver Belly62

5 minutes ago, Silver Belly62 said:

After you bring the animal in from the field I always would clean the first in the round and let them dry in a cool place. For fox,  skin them out and flesh them but fox most of the time won't have heavy fat like a coon, etc. If I'm going to stretch them then I will put them on the stretcher only for a day or so before turning them out, dont let them dry all the way out or you will have problems when turning them and have more of a chance for rips, holes, etc. Even after I turn them I use wedges on the inside to allow air to circulate to finish drying inside and have even used crumbled up newspaper to help with that also.  If I'm going to save a bunch to dry at a later time I will will roll them up nose first, hair side out, and put in the freezer

Ok, thanks , so this leads to more questions

1. How do you clean it "first"? Before skinning?  
2 . If I freeze it then I can go straight to tanning later, without drying/salting?

I never did anything with mine for tanning/salting, this was all to sell at the end of the season. Only thing I ever put on them if needed was a little bit of borax or a dusting of it on the stomachs (k-9's only). For cleaning after bringing them in from the field if they had a lot of mud or anything else I would wash them off with a hose and then hang to dry.  You will want to check the fur for any burr's, stickers, etc and get them out or use a fur comb. If not when you go to flesh the hide you could tear it. Are you looking to tan it yourself or going to send out to a tannery and have them do it ?

Edited by Silver Belly62

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

You must skin K9's asap or the belly will rot quickly. Skin, flesh, board or wire to dry/stretch. Pelt needs to be turned and put back on the stretcher to finish drying. Salt is no-no and not needed. Once it is stretched and dried it should be sent for tanning, If you aren't going to do anything with it right away then you can freeze it before fleshing. If you ain't never fleshed a fox or you have very little experience with it be careful. The skin is very thin and do not remove the saddle between the shoulders. There is very little fat to be removed on foxes. Also be real careful while turning it, it can and will tear easily

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

19 minutes ago, Silver Belly62 said:

I never did anything with mine for tanning/salting, this was all to sell at the end of the season. Only thing I ever put on them if needed was a little bit of borax or a dusting of it on the stomachs (k-9's only). For cleaning after bringing them in from the field if they had a lot of mud or anything else I would wash them off with a hose and then hang to dry.  You will want to check the fur for any burr's, stickers, etc and get them out or use a fur comb. If not when you go to flesh the hide you could tear it. Are you looking to tan it yourself or going to send out to a tannery and have them do it ?

Thanks

Not sure yet, I don't even have a fox yet:shock:, but I am thinking I like to do the entire process myself

3 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Skin, flesh, board or wire to dry/stretch. Pelt needs to be turned and put back on the stretcher to finish drying. Salt is no-no and not needed. Once it is stretched and dried it should be sent for tanning, If you aren't going to do anything with it right away then you can freeze it before fleshing. If you ain't never fleshed a fox or you have very little experience with it be careful. The skin is very thin and do not remove the saddle between the shoulders. There is very little fat to be removed on foxes. Also be real careful while turning it, it can and will tear easily

thanks

I brush mine out before skinning to get any burrs or mats out then I wash the hides after skinning in a bucket of cool water. You would be surprised at how dirty a clean looking hide really is. Keep washing and dumping your buckets out until you are left with clean water. I think doing this gets them cleaner than washing them off in the round with a hose. 

Then I hang them up overnight to dry. Once dry I pop them in the fridge to let the fat harden making fleshing easier. You might not even have to do this with a fox they don’t have much fat. 

If you are planning on tanning yourself you don’t even have to stretch and dry the hide. Just go right into the tanning process. The first step to home tanning is rehydrating the dry hide so you would be saving yourself a lot of time and effort. If you are sending it off to a tannery then you would have to go through the regular drying process. 

Also if you are planning on tanning yourself and bypassing the drying process then the saddle has to come off when fleshing. If you are sending it off to tan leave the saddle on and dry as normal. The tannery will remove the saddle when they rehydrate. 

Brush out any briars etc...

Skin

Minimal fleshing(just get fat off)

On the stretcher fur side in. for one day(may take two if it's cold where the pelt is)

Flip fur side out. 

Back on the stretcher, pin the ears forward

Remove from stretcher when the ears are hard

The stretchers i use are wood and they are adjustable. They are great. No need for belly boards. And you can adjust for smaller fox or larger fox. 

If I remember the correct measurement for fox is 7 1/4inches wide where the tail meets the body? Don't quote me on that. Maybe another guy knows that.