IGNORED

Red tails

Breast feathers not dark or streaked enough for a immature falcon and the underside of the wings on all immi falcons, even kestrels, are dark and very heavily streaked.  Plus, Merlin's are really small.

Given the "sleekness" of the birds in the photo, I say red-shouldered, and only added the possibility of the broad-wing because the Master Bander, who sits in my office and who runs the raptor banding station we band at brought up that possibility.

Thanks for all your input guys. If those are red shouldered hawks that is good news. I took these pics next to a pretty good sized piece of preserved land. Years ago on a trip to the great seamp I was told red shoulder numbers were low. Just goes to show once again regardless of the species why we should preserve land. 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:37 AM, crawdad said:

Great photos....I don't care what they are.....I would be happy just to watch them for a while

bOb….ski

Bird identification can be fun. I was once into bird photography and I have almost 250 species form NJ alone. This lead to bird identification because when I started I would take a picture and had no idea what it was until I loaded the pics on my computer and opened my books. Immature birds are always a challenge.

11 minutes ago, gillripper said:

Thanks for all your input guys. If those are red shouldered hawks that is good news. I took these pics next to a pretty good sized piece of preserved land. Years ago on a trip to the great seamp I was told red shoulder numbers were low. Just goes to show once again regardless of the species why we should preserve land. 

I don't see too many of them in NJ. Florida is another story, it seams like there is one in every tree:-)
They are beautiful birds:

127145872_bpMuyd7B_IMG_3166_2.jpg

92955701_VA9xWXiN_IMG_2910_3.jpg

Edited by Lunatic