IGNORED

Coyote Killed Family Pet

BHC

The only way to get longer seasons on them is to give state biologists feedback about what you are seeing. There is a phone number on the f&g website to call in sightings. I call whenever I see one. We all should be doing so if we want longer seasons on them

Hey, "Global Animal" and "Humane Society" says its so, must be true:

http://www.globalanimal.org/2016/08/16/coyote-conflict-why-killing-coyotes-doesnt-work/

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/coyotes/tips/against_killing_coyotes.html

Of course, tit-for-tat, coyotes are also to blame for the reduction in deer herds as well - so screw the deer, I suppose:

http://unionsportsmen.org/the-coyote-effect/

In all seriousness, that previous article does say its hard to reduce yote numbers to make a difference:

"In order to have a positive impact on fawn recruitment, it’s vital to remove up to 70 percent of coyotes from a particular area, according to at least two research projects conducted in Utah in the past 20 years. ... Ruth, however, says trapping is the most effective coyote management tool. ... But even intense trapping may not help much, as the Savannah River Site study proved. Coyotes respond to population declines by producing more pups and filling areas with low coyote densities through migration."

So, its true and not true. It's hard to reduce the yote population - yotes respond to depredation - but if you remove up to 70%, it helps on fawn survival.

Personally, I'm OK with reducing the yote population 70% through hunting and trapping.

I hunt In New Brunswick Canada with an outfitter who is a Trapper. He and all his neighbors trap all winter long and this is going on for ever. He alone takes around 300 coyotes each year but he tells me it has zero effect on the population. No matter how many are killed, the next year looks like the previous one.

The only way to get longer seasons on them is to give state biologists feedback about what you are seeing. There is a phone number on the f&g website to call in sightings. I call whenever I see one. We all should be doing so if we want longer seasons on them

I thought you only report those you kill while hunting (incidental or targeted). Didn't know they want sightings reported. Is that in the digest somewhere? I'll gladly report the ones I'm seeing over here in Camden and Gloucester counties if it means they will consider opening up the seasons based on the reports they are getting.