IGNORED

beautiful morning and saw lots of things I couldn't shoot

mazzgolf

It was an absolutely beautiful morning to be out in the woods today. Cool breeze, blue skies. Now that I'm on the board, I'm in no rush to fill a D-week tag. So I just took it all in.

I went back to the home of the "red-headed hen" and sure enough heard at least three toms gobbling in the distance. I slowly moved forward letting out some calls. As I'm sitting next to a tree, I had a hard time listening for turkeys approaching because all I heard was about a half dozen squirrels running around me in the leaves - some were so close I could spit on them. At least I know a new spot for squirrel season now.  :happy:

Well, I wait a bit and here comes a turkey - not 15 yards away! This one has a blue furry head - I know what this is  :eyebrow:  So I wait for the hen to walk by hoping a Tom is following, but no such luck. Of course, the hen walks right in the direction of the gobbling Toms - so now I have competition and I'm sure the hen will lure the Toms away.

After a while, I move forward again, and walking along a trail I see a rabbit just sitting there munching on some grass maybe 20 feet away. He ends up scurrying away when I approach - but its rare I ever see a rabbit while hunting let alone within easy shooting distance.

I keep walking up the trail on the edge of the woods to try to circle around where I think the Toms are and I hear a rustling on the ground. I thought I spooked a turkey but instead I see a big fat groundhog running away along a log - again can't have been more than 15 yards away.

So that's squirrel, rabbit, hen turkey, groundhog - all within easy shooting range. If I was purposefully hunting any one of those game animals, I bet I wouldn't sniff a single one. But of course when I'm spring gobbler hunting, that's all I see.  :doh2:

Still was a great, fun morning. (and the weather was 100% better compared to the downpour I was in on Saturday morning.)

Now it's back to work. blah!  :nerd:

LOL At least you had a great day in the woods.

I got out Squirrel hunting one Oct. Morning. While sitting in an Oak Stand I hear something from my right. I look and it is the biggest Buck I have ever seen in the woods. He was on a hot little trot and went right past my within 30yds and kept on going to the creek. I shoot a Squirrel go over pick it up and go back to me sit and I look and here comes the same Buck coming back from the creek. Same little slow trot right past me again. LOL. Deer season opened up in October back then if I remember right.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

Lol I used to hunt this creek in the morning for deer.. see nothing but ducks, go out lunch time for ducks, and see deer, and back to deer hunting the evening to see ducks.

Once I had a nice mature buck come put on the creek while I was duck hunting. He walked right down the edge of the water away from me, so I ducked out, got my bow, and went after him. I couldn't catch up to him. Followed him from about 100-150 yards behind for awhile til I lost sight.

Ended up bow shooting a mallard on my walk out lol.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LOL At least you had a great day in the woods.

I got out Squirrel hunting one Oct. Morning. While sitting in an Oak Stand I hear something from my right. I look and it is the biggest Buck I have ever seen in the woods. He was on a hot little trot and went right past my within 30yds and kept on going to the creek. I shoot a Squirrel go over pick it up and go back to me sit and I look and here comes the same Buck coming back from the creek. Same little slow trot right past me again. LOL. Deer season opened up in October back then if I remember right.

And as he walked past you that second time, I'm guessing he turned his head and stuck his tongue out at you :D And you just know if he could talk he's saying "Na na - you can't shoot me - see ya latah sucka!!!"