IGNORED

Log Splitters

not on the rug

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Axes-and-Mauls/X27-Super-Splitting-Axe-36

This is the only plastic handle that I found to work well. The problem the head needs to be a little heavier. Also the handle will break and if you miss your hands will ring so bad you will think you broke something. The other hands are too heavy and flexible. You want one like Rusty's.

Edited by CJ3a

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

Rusty = ANIMAL.   What do you do with the real gnarly knotty pieces? The one's that require two wedges, a sledgehammer, and 90 minutes of sweat equity?

Splitting by hand is very enjoyable and therapeutic to me as well, but only when it's nice straight ash, maple, or red oak. Anything stringy or knotty can really slow down production.

I got a Troy-built, 28-ton I think from Lowe's a few year's ago. It can tow behind the quad and tilt for those monster logs you don't dare lift with two herniated disks (me). It has an easy-start Honda motor. Its perfect for the homeowner and I split about 6 cords a year with it. It was a good investment. They are pretty simple machines actually - so many good choices, I would just say don't get the biggest (overkill) and don't get the smallest (you would be disappointed), and just look for what's on sale or priced to your comfort level.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Check out the Hearth.com forums before you buy.  There are reviews of logsplitters and plenty of chatter about splitting tools over there.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/the-gear.7/

Smart idea.  I'm a member over there too, although I rarely ever sign in or browse the site anymore.  Lots of knowledgeable people over there

Stay away from hydrauklic splitters

​check out super split

flywheel, 1/2 gallon gas and a 3hp engine will split more and faster than a 30 ton hydraulic/

Saw that on the other site.  Looking in to them as well.  Thanks for the suggestion.  They're definitely more money than I was looking to spend, so I'll have to see what I can do.

Thanks again 

What do you do with the real gnarly knotty pieces? The one's that require two wedges, a sledgehammer, and 90 minutes of sweat equity?

Splitting by hand is very enjoyable and therapeutic to me as well, but only when it's nice straight ash, maple, or red oak. Anything stringy or knotty can really slow down production.

I cut more wood than I use each year and give a bunch away, so I don't worry about production slowing down.  For me it's about fresh air and exercise, so I don't mind spending an extra couple of minutes on a gnarly log.

Knotty logs are actually more fun cuz you can hit them hard and not worry about blowing through them and burying the maul in the dirt.  If you know how the grain grows around knots you can split them pretty easy by splitting with the grain around the knot.  For the really stubborn ones I use the 8 lb maul instead of the 6.    

My buddy uses a splitter and just to bust his chops I'll grab his maul while he's splitting and I'll split more by hand than he does with his splitter.   :rofl:

My buddy uses a splitter and just to bust his chops I'll grab his maul while he's splitting and I'll split more by hand than he does with his splitter.   :rofl:

But is it only all about volume of wood? Or maybe wood volume + number of beers? lol

The Huskee splitters from Tractor Supply run great on the Briggs & Stratton engine

But is it only all about volume of wood? Or maybe wood volume + number of beers? lol

The Huskee splitters from Tractor Supply run great on the Briggs & Stratton engine

My snowblower and generator both use Briggs motors and they run like a top. No issues with those motors.  

I figure that the splitters with honda motors should be equally as reliable, if not better