IGNORED

Nightforce Vs March

username

Looking for a new scope for 1000ya benchrest shooting with the 50bmg. Currently, using a NightForce benchrest 8-32x56mm, but looking to step up the magnification.

Does anyone have the NightForce Competition model ($2352) or the March Tactical ($3000)?  

If anyone has either, please let me know what you think.

Edited by username

• 10 months later...

Been putting away $100 a month and after two years, was close enough to affording the scope that a 10% off coupon from OpticsPlanet helped me seal the deal.

Going from an 8-32x to the 8-80x will help the 1000ya targets be easier to see.  Hopefully, the same will not be true of mirage.

Didn't particularly need illumination, but the 10% coupon paid the difference.

Cannot wait until next year's competitions...

march2_zps7qsrbtdk.jpgmarch1_zps02giqxpi.jpg

Edited by username

Where are you shooting out to 1K yards, and which 50BMG do you have?  I might start saving for one.

I'll have to get a thread going on this topic as there's a bit of interest. We shoot out in Williamsport PA twice a year with the FCSA.

Best bang for your buck is the AR50.  It will shoot sub-moa at 1000ya with handloads and the proper setup.  I have one and will shoot it for a few more years. 

If you have some cash, a custom action like Bat or a McMillan Tac50 is a great way to go.  A Bat action starts at $2500.  Then all you need to add is everything!!!

This year, Shirley List shot a 2 5/8" (five shot) group at Raton using an AR50 with a Lilja barrel.

Ever go to Cherry Ridge?  

I'll be there soon.  I have to test out some new bullets - 770 gr :-) brass solids along with a few 750gr Amax variations I have in mind.

Edited by username

I need to take my Rem 700 XCR II .30-06 up there one of these weekends to sight it in for NH in Nov.

Hope you're reloading.  What's your max distance?

Here's a recipe for 30-06's that almost always works.

Bullet: Hornady 165 SST 
Charge: 55 grains of IMR4350 (or H4350)
Winchester Large Rifle Primer
OAL-  3.240"

Hope you're reloading.  What's your max distance?

Here's a recipe for 30-06's that almost always works.

Bullet: Hornady 165 SST 
Charge: 55 grains of IMR4350 (or H4350)
Winchester Large Rifle Primer
OAL-  3.240"

Not into reloading yet.  We need to chat about that too.  I've glanced at the gear, but haven't seriously started to look at it.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

When I develop a load for a new rifle I start by jamming the bullet in the lands. Then I keep adding powder until I get pressure signs. Flattened Primer, hard bolt lift, pierced primers. Then back it off the lands a few thousands and I am good to go. I don't think I would use that system with a 50BMG though LOL.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

Look,  seriously,  if your gonna be doing all this cool shooting stuff you have to get a real username.  username is not a username.   :whatever:

My thoughts exactly when I saw what kind of serious ranges were being talked about :up: 

....username definitely need to upgrade/edit the username! :rofl: