IGNORED

Gun Safe Recommendations?

BowhunterNJ

Coincidentally, I just had my safe delivered last week!

It's an interesting navigation to get a safe into the basement, so I opted for the Liberty Fatboy.

I wanted to go with the Lincoln which is higher, but wasn't too sure we could squeeze it in, so I went with the Fatboy which is the same safe width just not as high.

I worked with Chris at Liberty Safes NJ, http://www.libertysafesnj.com/

They're located right across the street from where I work, so it worked out well to see models in person.

They also work with Sportsmen Center in Bordentown and provide their safe sales/support.

Guys delivered it, set it up, shimmed it...all good to go! :up:

Here is the model pic from their site.

s9.jpg

64.jpg

Direct Link: Liberty Fatboy

And mine setup in the basement, only scale you can get out of it is the plug on the right :)

attachicon.gifPhoto Feb 05, 3 27 16 PM.jpg

How much was it ?? and how easy was it for them to deliver it ??? Did they bring it inside or just street drop off ??   I was hoping to  only spend $ 800-$1000..... OK editing this , just clicked on the link and see its $2700.....

Edited by MRMCR

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Yeah, that safe with delivery to where I wanted in the basement with the internal LED bars added in was around $3000.

Delivery I believe was around $300.

Is what it is when it comes to 800lbs, no easy way to move that...so IMO it's worth paying them to do it however they're experience in doing it.

I was in much need of one, and feel a whole hell of a lot better having it now.

Getting it DOWN in the basement wasn't bad for them at all, but they did say if I ever wanted it back OUT they'd have to get a truck back to where the bilco doors are or setup some kind of pulley system tied off to a tree to slide it back up since a single stair can't handle the weight of the whole safe. They use a dolly with a motorized lift to move it around and to bring it back up stairs if the stairs can support it. Going down, they slide it distributed across several stairs so the weight isn't as critical.

You can save the delivery/setup fee and get just curbside or garage delivery for a lot less. But the hardest part of moving that mofo around is still left! What they used to move it around on the floor was pretty cool. They basically took 2x4s with teflon strips screwed down (recessed) on top of them...then just laid them down like two tracks and slide the safe. They had 4 of them, so they could navigate in any direction with 2 at a time. Pretty slick.

Safe wise for $1000 with delivery will be tight budget wise. Price generally reflects the amount of steel (and features) in a safe. When you get into more "bargain" oriented safes, they generally look "thick" but they are pretty thin steel content wise. If theft isn't a huge concern, it's not a big deal. If you hide it somehow (hidden room), it's even less of a concern. Definitely do a little looking around and check that video out that I posted above, it's very informative!

Even with how much I spent, it's really a "middle road" safe, top of the line would be almost twice as heavy and cost 2-3 times as much. I have a monitored security system, and then the safe on top of that. Hopefully a thief doesn't have enough time to get very far...and he certainly isn't taking that safe out of the house.

Good luck with whatever you decide, definitely keep us posted...I'd be curious as to what you're looking at and select! :up:

Nice, Matt.  One thing my wife's uncle taught me about safes - and his is huge, bolted to the floor of the home he had built after lowering it by crane as they built around it - is to print out a Word document in big, bold letters that reads something like this and putting it on the front door regardless of how great the safe is:

FIRE DANGER: Inside this safe is a significant amount of black powder.  Attempts to cut into this safe will result in a large explosion. 

It gives some pause to a determined thief.  That said, I have two smaller safes storing my guns and bolted in.  One I had bought and the other I inherited from my father along with his guns when he passed.  I keep rifles and pistols in one and shotguns in the other along with ammo in both.

MRMCR were are you located? I have some machine skates. Also a have heard of people using golf balls under the safe.

I am in Cranford, but I will hire someone to do it for me.....this one happens to be at a house we will be doing an estate sale for, and we wont be doing the sale till first week of April , so I probably wont be able to get it till mid March the earliest.......but Thank You for the offer it is appreciated.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

I definitely dig the safe. The only thing that you may want to consider is the storage of shotguns. Due to the lower height of this safe, you can only store shotguns up front without losing shelving towards the back (on either side). If you have the room, and if I had the ability to get it to where I wanted this one, I would consider getting the higher version of this same safe. Literally the same exact thing, just another 12" higher or so.