IGNORED

Rainbow trout?

Jon-Marc

That's what I was thinking cause the pectoral fins looked freshly worn. But was def larger than their normal 12" stockie. Thanks for all the reply..the stretch of the flatbrook I fish is rather clear so I didn't think it was water quality. I've pulled many native and holdover fish out of there....tight lines guys

Fresh stocked rainbow. Many of them have that brownish coloration with the orangey rather than red/pink stripe right out of the hatchery. When we were stocking the BFB last Thu one of the guys helping me commented on that color variation.

What he said.  I was going to say "mutant Pequest, nubby finned hen rainbow" until I read Dave's post.  The state stocks some broodstock bows during the pre season stocking and in-season stockings and I guess many folks don't know that.  Not all newly stocked trout are the cookie cutter 11" fish as they toss in some 2 year and 3 year old fish with the smaller ones.

As for rainbows not spawning in many of our waters, that is a matter of pH, not spawning gravels or other.  We do get some wild rainbow trout production on certain rivers and streams, but far, far fewer than we get wild/native brook trout or wild brown trout who both tolerate much greater swings in pH post spawn.  

Also, regarding colors, the Pequest hatchery took steps for next year to bring in a different feed that will give the rainbows much better coloration.  Time will tell, but feed does make a huge difference with hatchery reared trout.   

Edited by Bucksnbows

Also, regarding colors, the Pequest hatchery took steps for next year to bring in a different feed that will give the rainbows much better coloration.  Time will tell, but feed does make a huge difference with hatchery reared trout.   

Absolutely true re; the feed making a difference. It's good to hear they're trying a different formulation next year, hopefully it'll make a big positive difference. Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Dave B.

I have a serious question. I have not eaten trout that are stocked in may years. They used to be pasty and tasteless so I throw them back. Is this a product of what they are fed in the hatchery?

Has this changed? wild trout and trout from round valley I always found tasty. Round Valley we fished for big trout with downriggers in the middle of the reservoir. I thought about buying a smoker because I do like fish but gave up on NJ stocked trout. Suggestions ? comments?

I have a serious question. I have not eaten trout that are stocked in may years. They used to be pasty and tasteless so I throw them back. Is this a product of what they are fed in the hatchery?

Has this changed? wild trout and trout from round valley I always found tasty. Round Valley we fished for big trout with downriggers in the middle of the reservoir. I thought about buying a smoker because I do like fish but gave up on NJ stocked trout. Suggestions ? comments?

I haven't eaten trout in a long time either. Same experience, they are just kind of dull and tasteless, especially compared to saltwater fish.

I've probably never had a wild trout.

Wild trout taste far better than hatchery reared trout.  Once a hatchery trout has been in the water long enough and is eating natural foods, its flesh will tighten up and taste better.  Pellets fed to them in the hatchery is ground up fish meal for the most part, and is designed to grow trout as fast as possible.  It is not about having the healthiest, tastiest fish there is to eat.  And Pequest pushes the envelope on feeding trout.  They exceed most hatchery's growth figures anywhere that trout are raised.